Orange Wedding Cake

Decorating By mbpbrighteyes Updated 3 Nov 2008 , 5:18pm by mbpbrighteyes

mbpbrighteyes Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 12

I have a wedding cake in a few weeks- the couple sent me a pic of what they have in mind, and never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined I'd be making an orange wedding cake!!! What food colorings would you guys suggest to get this color since it's not orange, not peach, kind of just... well, I don't know other than bright!!! Thought I'd see if anyone has any ideas since color seems to be my weak spot (well, unless it's making things gray!). It's my first wedding cake and they want BC, not fondant and I have creative freedom with side piping- hooray! Here's the pic they sent me!
LL

11 replies
staceyboots Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 12

it looks like a dusty peach to me...try sampling with an orange and a little bit of brown

staceyboots Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 12

...or you can start with a very lilttle brown (like tan) and add orange to it

mbpbrighteyes Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 12

Thats kind of what I was thinking- knew that regular peach was too pink, and yet orange wasn't right obviously!

bizatchgirl Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 12

Copper makes a nice peachy-orange if you add too much. One of those things I learned by unhappy accident icon_redface.gif

LeanneW Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 11:41pm
post #6 of 12

ahhhh, be careful, I tried to make ivory using brown and ended up with flesh tone, this could happen to you too.

SILVERCAT Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 11:44pm
post #7 of 12

I actually think that is a very pretty cake! You got some great pointers above, let us know how you make out!

maimai16 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 8:53am
post #8 of 12

i just made an orange orange pumpkin for holloween. try to use wiltons orange orange coloring for melts. at my first attemp, with a couple of toothpick dipped in it then rubbed on my MMF, they looked like a pastel orange. godd luck icon_biggrin.gif

Daisy1 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:44pm
post #9 of 12

Since you are going to need a lot of the same color icing, I would recommend adding the color to your liquid and mixing up enough liquid for all of your icing batches at the same time. That way all your batches are exactly the same color. I would suggest you make enough liquid for an extra batch just in case you under estimate. Trying to match such an unusual shade could be a real stresser for your first wedding cake.

staceyboots Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:55pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy1

Since you are going to need a lot of the same color icing, I would recommend adding the color to your liquid and mixing up enough liquid for all of your icing batches at the same time. That way all your batches are exactly the same color. I would suggest you make enough liquid for an extra batch just in case you under estimate. Trying to match such an unusual shade could be a real stresser for your first wedding cake.

what a great idea!!

missmeg Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 3:12pm
post #11 of 12

I would start out with Creamy Peach and then add small amounts of Orange to it.

I love the idea of adding it to the liquid though. Never thought of that!

mbpbrighteyes Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 5:18pm
post #12 of 12

Wow.. that is a GREAT idea!! I was stressing about that- knew I'd need a bunch and obviously don't have an industrial mixer here in the house icon_smile.gif! THANKS!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%