I Have Turned Into A Frosting Critic

Decorating By hallow3 Updated 15 Nov 2008 , 1:27am by hallow3

hallow3 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 27

Well, I went to a party last night with my husband and normally I make cakes but was not up to making one so I made cookies instead. (I should have made cake) There was several cakes there, so naturally, I had to try a bite of each one and I have discovered that they just slap canned frosting on everyone of them. Canned frosting is disgusting to me now! Since I have been making my own, I can tell a huge difference in frostings. It was almost as bad as Wilton's fondant that made me gag. I just had to share my story. Thanks for listening.

26 replies
KrissieCakes Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 27

I totally agree with you! Ever since I started making my own icing I can't stand the taste of canned! I would rather not eat dessert than eat canned frosting - it's not worth the calories icon_smile.gif That's saying a lot coming from a sweet-aholic!

scoutmamma Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 27

Dont be hard on yourself... as long as you were nice to the person who put in the effort to make something they were proud of, then no harm no foul... everyone has different tastes, and as long as we respect those differences, it is ok to be a frosting snob... after all it takes one to know one... and i am a BIG one... thumbs_up.gif

FeGe_Cakes Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 27

Repeat after me, "Hi, my name is _____ and I am a cake snob". In your case, "an icing snob".

icon_lol.gif

I am too, I am not a big fan of icing in general but I don't like anyone's cake except my own and my mother's.

I had a friend look me dead in the eye when another cake baker at work made a cake for a bridal shower. She knew I wouldn't like it, so she was waiting on my reaction. icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 10:20pm
post #5 of 27

Let me start by saying that I use all butter swiss meringue buttercream chichifoofoolahdeedah.

However, unlike you, I am a life long sugar junkie. I love that canned sh*t. I love those nasty little wafer cookie sticks that are slathered with sugar and shortening in between many layers of basically flour and water and egg white. I love cookies for breaksfast and fudge for a snack. Sugar sugar more more sugar--yes!

I am a danger to myself. icon_biggrin.gif

twooten173 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 10:34pm
post #6 of 27

Hallow3, I feel your pain. I don't know how anyone eats that canned stuff. Even before I knew about othe icings, I rarely ate the stuff in a can. Now you couldn't pay me to touch it! I'm like that with most prepacked treats except Oreos - especially the white ones. YUM!

cheeseball Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 5:21pm
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I love that canned sh*t. I love those nasty little wafer cookie sticks that are slathered with sugar and shortening in between many layers of basically flour and water and egg white.
I am a danger to myself. icon_biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

TyTy78 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 5:24pm
post #8 of 27

Some of the ladies had a suprise birthday dinner for our pastor after church, and guess what was there.....That's right a store bought cake....YUCK!! now that I make my own cake with frosting I can barely stomach the store bought stuff. All I could think was I wished I had known!!

tonedna Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 5:25pm
post #9 of 27

I can't stand a lot of them, but if I had to choose one, it would be the whipped one from Betty Crocker. And there is a point i just feel like I want to throw up!..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

ThreeDGirlie Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 5:26pm
post #10 of 27

K8, you just described me. Those sugar wafers are the food of the gods, I tell you!

michelle574 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 5:38pm
post #11 of 27

Hi. My name is Michelle and I am a cake snob.

I was also at a party this weekend where the cakes were straight box mixes with canned frosting. The party was for my friend's daughter and my friend and some of her friends put a lot of effort into decorating two princess themed cakes. They were Wilton shaped pans decorated with the star tips. They looked cute enough, but I didn't care for the taste AT ALL. The cake I tried was apparently a chocolate butter cake from a mix, but it had a chemical aftertaste to me. I guess I'm just too used to my scratch chocolate cake. Of course I didn't say anything negative, but others were talking about how moist the cake was and I couldn't bring myself to say anything. icon_redface.gif I felt like a terrible friend, but hey, I like GOOD cake!

playingwithsugar Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 5:47pm
post #12 of 27

Ok, snobs, you admit you are snobs, but how big a snob are you really? I'm so snobby, I refuse to eat anyone else's cake but my own, or only from certain bakers (Ron Ben-Israel, Toba Garrett, Kim Morrison - their cakes are sooo good! There might be a few others out there, but I haven't tasted theirs yet).

When asked at a party if I want a slice of cake, I bluntly state "No, Thank You, I don't eat anyone else's cake but my own."

Theresa icon_smile.gif

3GCakes Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:40pm
post #13 of 27

K8Memphis wrote:

"However, unlike you, I am a life long sugar junkie. I love that canned sh*t. I love those nasty little wafer cookie sticks that are slathered with sugar and shortening in between many layers of basically flour and water and egg white. I love cookies for breaksfast and fudge for a snack. Sugar sugar more more sugar--yes!"

These are actually a food group for my kids. My mom keeps them in her car and at her house. I get upset with her if she only buys the yellow-ish ones, she MUST buy the pack that also has pink and chocolate ones, or it's just not right.

I've mentioned this before, but my beloved husband requested yellow cake and chocolate canned frosting for his birthday this year. The funny thing is....you CAN'T make the stuff....you will never get it to taste like that. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

loriemoms Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:48pm
post #14 of 27

I was at a party this weekend too, where we all were assigned a dish to bring. (I was given a side dish..she figured I was sick of making cake!) They put out cupcakes from a box for the kids to decorate, using canned frosting. The kids love that stuff, (it so easy to spread) but I agree, it tastes and LOOKs like plastic to me!

juleskaye518 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:01pm
post #15 of 27

I am not a cake/frosting snob but I love you guys!! A couple years ago, my DH left for a 6 month deployment in the Navy. To combat my new sex-less and loney life, I took a CAN of frosting and and a box of Nilla Wafers to bed. Dip and eat, dip and eat. Funny thing is, I didn't eat much else and lost 8 lbs in the first month!!

Pookie59 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 9:17pm
post #16 of 27

I hate that canned stuff too. Of course I grew up with a mom who always, always made icing from scratch. And, why not? It's not that difficult and it's sure worth the effort.

When I first saw this post, it reminded me of a chef show I was watching the other day. It was a team of chefs catering a gay wedding. They only had like 16 hours until the reception, so the girl in charge of the cake used boxed mix for the cake, which is no crime - but hey, she's supposed to be a pro. However, she obviously had no decorating talent whatsoever. The icing wasn't even smooth - 3 tiers that she slopped some icing on and decorated with fresh flowers. Looked terrible IMO.

Statler Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:20am
post #17 of 27

Before I started making cakes, my husband would stop by Wally World and pick up a cake every so often (he's a real cake junkie). Now that I make my own cakes with my own buttercream frosting, we can't hardly eat those store- bought cakes! Call me a cake snob too!

Amia Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:44am
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Ok, snobs, you admit you are snobs, but how big a snob are you really? I'm so snobby, I refuse to eat anyone else's cake but my own, or only from certain bakers (Ron Ben-Israel, Toba Garrett, Kim Morrison - their cakes are sooo good! There might be a few others out there, but I haven't tasted theirs yet).

When asked at a party if I want a slice of cake, I bluntly state "No, Thank You, I don't eat anyone else's cake but my own."

Theresa icon_smile.gif

That's me! I guess I'm not real nice about it either, when offered subpar cake. Oh well. icon_lol.gif And I have never enjoyed canned frosting. My mom would always make buttercream for everything, even the canned cinnamon rolls.

I was so offended when I made my aunt a cake for her birthday and she told me later she wished it had been a box mix chocolate cake with chocolate canned frosting! icon_eek.gificon_evil.gif Who PREFERS canned frosting over homemade all-butter buttercream!?! Geez!

Pastry-Panda Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:51am
post #19 of 27

I agree now that I make my own stuff I dont use store bought frosting , it doesn't taste as good.

I'm also a cake snob , but I am always willing to try someone elses cake otherwise I would have nothing to bi#%$ about!! icon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:47am
post #20 of 27

Long time icing snob ... everyone knows that debi scrapes the icing off of any cake that's not hers.

k8 and cakemom ... yeah, the chocolate wafer cookies! Gotta have those!! Side Story: Hubby loves those cheapo sandwich cookies (yellow cookie with white filling). He was eating some at work and a co-worker stopped and said, "Your wife makes those fabulous cookies out there in our lobby and you're eating THOSE????" icon_lol.gif

I like canned CHOCOLATE icing .... the white icing is yucky! And I refuse to ever allow an Oreo to pass my lips. DIS-Gusting!!

I"m like Pastry-Panda ... gotta take at least ONE bite so I can complain about how bad it is! icon_lol.gif (Especially fun at weddings, especially when the cake is from a "high-end and popular" bakery!)

And what's even more fun? GOing to a restaurant and listening to my sister just rave about how good the soup or the dessert is, so I can tell her, "Yeah, I have the same thing in my shop freezer from GFS. Want me to bring you a box on my next trip?" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

ChristianCakeBaker Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 12:30am
post #21 of 27

i like the chocolate fudge icing- i can eat the whole can, shamefully icon_redface.gif

TheDomesticDiva Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:03pm
post #22 of 27

Haha, I have to admit that it's kinda depressing to be a cake snob like I am a bit now. Before I started making cakes, I was quite happy to get any kind of cake/icing someone threw together. But I'm ashamed to say it's soooo hard to enjoy anyone else's cake now! There's always some critique that I feel wouldn't have been there before. Whether it's too dry, or the icing is gross or something! I do like chocolate canned frosting bc I just cant seem to get my chocolate buttercream right, but as far as white icings, you just cannot beat homemade buttercream!!

tastefullysweet Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 10:02am
post #23 of 27

... which doesn't make me any less of a cake snob icon_rolleyes.gif Of course, I'm spoiled to bits by being born and raised in a country where canned and boxed stuff was never available, so everyone made their own cakes (which were often beyond ugly but always tasted good). Right now I find myself in a real pickle, because I want to get serious with my cake decorating hobby (and maybe eventually even do it for a living), but I don't even like buttercream (needless to say, I can't even make myself try fondant). How can I make cakes with this stuff if I can't even eat it myself? And what I do like (and make a lot of) is so far away from what people expect from a professionally decorated cake (lots of fruit and chocolate decor) that I'm not sure it's gonna fly... Me personally, I'd pick a cake that looks like CAKE any time over an exquisite fondant/gumpaste creation, but I know I'm in a minority here.
That said, I still want to learn how to do mainstream stuff (and I would definitely do a Wilton course if one was available here). I hope to be able to find the way to balance great taste with gorgeous design. I'm sure this community will be a big help in finding this perfect cake equilibrium.

Vent over, thanks for reading icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 1:26pm
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastefullysweet

... which doesn't make me any less of a cake snob icon_rolleyes.gif Of course, I'm spoiled to bits by being born and raised in a country where canned and boxed stuff was never available, so everyone made their own cakes (which were often beyond ugly but always tasted good). Right now I find myself in a real pickle, because I want to get serious with my cake decorating hobby (and maybe eventually even do it for a living), but I don't even like buttercream (needless to say, I can't even make myself try fondant). How can I make cakes with this stuff if I can't even eat it myself? And what I do like (and make a lot of) is so far away from what people expect from a professionally decorated cake (lots of fruit and chocolate decor) that I'm not sure it's gonna fly... Me personally, I'd pick a cake that looks like CAKE any time over an exquisite fondant/gumpaste creation, but I know I'm in a minority here.
That said, I still want to learn how to do mainstream stuff (and I would definitely do a Wilton course if one was available here). I hope to be able to find the way to balance great taste with gorgeous design. I'm sure this community will be a big help in finding this perfect cake equilibrium.

Vent over, thanks for reading icon_biggrin.gif

Oh I think you could definitely carve out your niche for the fruity looks like a real cake market. So I just wanted to encourage you to keep going. Doing what you love and are passionate about is where it's at yes?
Go for it!

7yyrt Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 5:01pm
post #25 of 27

I took a peek at your website, tastefullysweet.
Those chocolate creations at the bottom of the page are similar to ones I see sold in slices for $4 - 6 each slice. Yep, I'd say there was a customer base there.

tastefullysweet Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 5:36pm
post #26 of 27

Wow, thanks, ladies! You do know how to make one feel welcome icon_biggrin.gif

hallow3 Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 1:27am
post #27 of 27

You know most rich people say they got where they are because the loved what they do and they went beyond their boundries. I say go for it and you may get a nice new trend going in Germany as long as you have passion for it. Bill Gates did not go into designing Windows because he thought nobody would like it. He sold (by marketing)it to the people and they came to love it. Follow your dreams and do what you want to do. Sure you can make the traditional cakes there but incorporate some of your own still and designs. I am sure the people will love to try something out of the ordinary and maybe they are tired of the ordinary?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%