Damask Cake.. Help!!!!

Decorating By thatssweetbakeshop Updated 3 Nov 2008 , 11:13pm by cylstrial

thatssweetbakeshop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatssweetbakeshop Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 13

A customer has asked me to duplicate this cake? Any suggestions? I'm not that great with small, small details
LL

12 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 12:56am
post #2 of 13

I think the best thing to do would be to find a stencil if you can. Someone on CC recommended www.Designerstencils.com to me. Hope this helps you as well!

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 1:16am
post #3 of 13

My first suggestion would be to try the stenciling as well.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 1:20am
post #4 of 13

I do a fair number of damask cakes - but I get to create my own Damask pattern. I'd suggest a stencil as well.

thatssweetbakeshop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatssweetbakeshop Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 1:37am
post #5 of 13

To add to this.. The customer wants cut outs of the flowers.. and I can pipe the details.. UGH I've taken it on as a challenege I'm charging almost $900 for 145 servings.. icon_smile.gif I'll be up for days icon_smile.gif.. Thank you all for your comments.

jessicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicle Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 1:26pm
post #6 of 13

im new to the site so forgive me if this is a silly question....how would you "apply" the stencil to the cake? wouldnt it mess up the BC or fondant?

kbw5780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbw5780 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 3:38pm
post #7 of 13

I was wondering that, as well.....How do you apply to stencil to the cake??

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 4:00pm
post #8 of 13

Take a closer look at the cake - it's not a stencil but a cutter. There are many available at specialty stores which would make you job much easier. I would cut out all th patterns and then do a little (emphasis on little) royal icing detail work on the cut-outs. Thiscould be done way ahead of time.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 4:01pm
post #9 of 13

P.S. Who in the world would want to serve a cake with al that black on it anyway - black=black teeth (yuk!).

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 7:20pm
post #10 of 13

we all know I love suharshacks DVDs, she shows you how to use stencils on the "stacking" DVD

You pretty much hold the stencil lightly against a very well crusted cake, and then with a spatula spread BC over it. and remove the stencil

afterdinnerthoughts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afterdinnerthoughts Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 7:33pm
post #11 of 13

Cookie4, good eye!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 7:35pm
post #12 of 13

thatssweetbakeshop, I've done three Damask cakes lately, all cutouts, and it's not that bad. The piping will be what takes the time.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 11:13pm
post #13 of 13

Cookie4 - Can you recommend a place to buy cutter's like the picture above? I've been looking for ornate, sectioned cutters..but can't seem to locate any.
Thanks for your help!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%