Cake Mixes

Decorating By lifonahil Updated 2 Nov 2008 , 5:48am by lifonahil

lifonahil Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 4:20am
post #1 of 11

I was wondering if any of you ladies would like to share your reciepes for Doctoring up your cake mixes. I really dont make cakes to sell i just do them for my family but i always use a mix. I would love to Doctor them up.

10 replies
tomatoqeen Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 4:40am
post #2 of 11

Try the WASC recipe and its variations...they're great!
WASC=White Almond Sour Cream Cake

Personally, I like the Pillsbury White for my white cakes and the Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge for my chocolate cakes.

Happy Baking!

lifonahil Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 4:52am
post #3 of 11

Thank you so much. I didnt know that the wasc reciepe used cake mixes. I will go look at that right now.

auntiecake Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 4:53am
post #4 of 11

I prefer Duncan Hines all the way! It is so moist and has a fine crumb texture. The WASC recipe is very good and makes carving easier also.

Ruby2uesday Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 5:07am
post #5 of 11

i'm a duncan hines girl myself!!! never had a problem.... knock on wood! i also add 1 pkg coordinating pudding mix and and extra egg.

GI Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 5:09am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifonahil

I was wondering if any of you ladies would like to share your reciepes for Doctoring up your cake mixes. I really dont make cakes to sell i just do them for my family but i always use a mix. I would love to Doctor them up.

If you check the recipes file here on CC, there are LOTS of doctored mixes. If you check the box you purchase, there is usually a "doctored" version on it, too.

HTH! thumbs_up.gif

iluvjay829 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 5:15am
post #7 of 11

I use Betty Crocker for all my cakes. I use WASC for my white cakes. For my chocolate cakes, I use the recipe on here for Darn Good Chocolate Cake but I substiture milk chocolate cake mix, chocolate pudding, and milk chocolate chips. There's also a recipe on Southern Living for quick italian cream cake that starts with a white cake mix and is out of this world. Good luck!

lifonahil Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 5:18am
post #8 of 11

Wow you ladies are so helpful. I can't wait to try and make a doctored cake.

CeeTee Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 5:22am
post #9 of 11

I almost exclusively use Duncan Hines unless it's not on sale, then I use Pilsbury.

The way I usually doctor mine is I add one package of instant pudding, one extra egg, a tablespoon of vanilla extract, use lowfat or skim milk instead of water, and unsweetened applesauce instead of oil. I get a dense cake with a fine crumb, and it's usually lower in fat.

I vary my flavors by swapping around the kinds of puddings, extracts, and pureed fruit in the mix. For my chocolate cakes I add in Ghiradelli chips, or I sub out melted chocolate for the oil.

RebeccaC Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 5:41am
post #10 of 11

I always buy Betty Crocker and they're always great. I received a book as a gift called, "Complete Cake Mix Magic" by Jill Snider. I've make several cakes from it and they have all been wonderful. Never a complaint.

lifonahil Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 5:48am
post #11 of 11

Thank you so much for all the great advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%