Just Thought This Was Kind Of Funny...

Decorating By shelly-101 Updated 2 Nov 2008 , 6:46pm by shelly-101

shelly-101 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 2:54am
post #1 of 13

i am very new to the whole cake decorating only been doing it for about six months or so but i just thought this was kind of funny. When ever i do a cake and i have to make something that is supposed to look like something and i am feeling a little unsure about my self. i go get my 2 in half year old dd and ask her what is that supposed to be and if she can tell me what it is than i am happy with it but if i ask my husband the same question i don't get the same satsfaction. icon_biggrin.gif

12 replies
DerrellC Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 3:10am
post #2 of 13

hi Shelly, my wife gets great satisfaction when the person who the cake is for knows what the theme,figure is. That wonderful ear to ear grin on their face is priceless.As long as you get that reaction,you are doing something right.
As far as husbands go, my wife got me a shirt at ICES this year that said, " I'm the husband, I just carry the cake"
Keep working to improve your skills,and the doubt about your skills will deminish over time, good luck, Derrell

karapags Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 3:16am
post #3 of 13

That is very funny because I do the same thing with my 5 and 3 year old boys!

dg10148 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 3:17am
post #4 of 13

That's true I have an 12 year old grandson I ask him what I am missing when I am done with a cake and he tells me the truth everyone else tells me nothing it looks good. By the way your cakes are very very good keep up the good work.

costumeczar Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:54pm
post #5 of 13

I use my kids the same way all the time, because they'll tell you the truth! Your husband always has the "Will I have to sleep on the couch tonight if I answer this wrong" tape going in the back of his head, so he might not give you the straight answer your'e looking for. Kids don't care, they'll say what they think!

mixinvixen Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:28pm
post #6 of 13

that really is so true. i use my 4 yr old daughter as my "cake weather vane", so to speak...whichever way she blows, i know it's a certainty. if she recognizes my project, then i can almost always bet that i've done a good job.

for example: the other day, i did a miniature table with these teeny tiny little presents on top...as i was trying to paint them, she came up and said "ohhhh!!...pwesents....they're very pwetty, mommy!. my husband comes in and says..."what the heck are those supposed to be?"

really small picture, but it lets you see how small the "pwesents" were, but were still recognizable to a child

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1279347

men. hopeless.

Lynnzee Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 2:08pm
post #7 of 13

I can not wait until my daughter is old enough to Help me out (she just turned 1). iNSTEAD OF A YES MAN MY dh IS A why MAN. Why are you doing this, why are you doing that. He is my toughest critic. He does not understand why people would pay so much for cake. But when I get paid he is sure glad that they do!!! LOL

mommyofone119 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 2:15pm
post #8 of 13

I do this too with my 3 year old!

BlueDevil Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 2:52pm
post #9 of 13

I smell a rat here... icon_confused.gif

I just looked at your cakes...and there is simply no WAY you have been doing this for only six months...unless Bronwen is your next-door neighbor! icon_eek.gif

Good stuff! icon_biggrin.gif

jouj Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 3:30pm
post #10 of 13

Funny, I do that with my 4 and my 6 year olds. When they recognize the character, I'm soooo happy!!! icon_biggrin.gif
And of course, whenever I ask my husband about anything, he NEVER tells me it's right!!! He ALWAYS manages to find something wrong!!

banba Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 5:04pm
post #11 of 13

Me too icon_lol.gif I do this to both my 4 and 11 year old.

When I ask my DH he gets that bunny caught in the headlamps look icon_lol.gif Like "Oh dear God let this be the right answer pleazzze"

shelly-101 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 6:36pm
post #12 of 13

i swear blue devil its true i have always been very crafty and pick things up very fast get it from my mom. it starded off when i made my dad a fathers day cake, have been hooked ever since. but thank you. icon_smile.gif

shelly-101 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 6:46pm
post #13 of 13

oh and if you notice it my pics that there is only one cake done with buttercream now that is hard when ever i do a cake i tell my self ok i am going to do buttercream this time nope it never works out that way i always end up doing fondant. So to all those that do buttercream you guys are amazing. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%