How Do I Use Her Topper?

Decorating By karateka Updated 9 Nov 2008 , 5:01am by fidos_mom

karateka Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:03am
post #1 of 13

Ok. This wedding cake is gonna be the death of me.

She wanted a pink mehndi cake (black on pink). Ok, fine. Wants a square cake. Grrrr.....ok.

Now the week before she gives me a topper. It's an acrylic square. About 6x6in by 1/2 in thick, with an engraving on it of their name and date.

Now how on earth am I supposed to stand this thing up on the cake? It's only 1/2 in thick, so it won't stand on one of it's sides. And I can't think of a way to do it. Do I need to make a pink gumpaste stand like maybe a square with a slot in it, and hope it stays in there???

What are these brides thinking?

12 replies
BabyBear3 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:35am
post #2 of 13

if it is too big and too heavy, tell the bride that it will not work on the cake and see if she has some other way to display the plaque.

RI may help hold it in place but I am not sure.

karateka Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 2:19am
post #3 of 13

It's not that heavy....I haven't weighed it, but I just don't know how it will stand up. If I lay it down flat nobody will see the engraving and it will look like a glass block window lying on it's side up on top of the cake.

It's just so skinny and I don't know how to make it stand up.

-Tubbs Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 2:42am
post #4 of 13

I like your idea of making a stand for it - like a little easel?

Sounds like it will be a beautiful cake.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 2:47am
post #5 of 13

I would attach (hot glue maybe? i dont know what sticks to accrylic.... ) and glue lollipop sticks to it 2 or 3 across the bottom and push it in.. ?

Rocketgirl899 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 2:49am
post #6 of 13

I would attach (hot glue maybe? i dont know what sticks to accrylic.... ) and glue lollipop sticks to it 2 or 3 across the bottom and push it in.. ?

Baking_Booth Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 2:56am
post #7 of 13

How many levels are the cake? Instead of a topper you could put it on the middle layer of the cake and lean it up against the cake itself. I've seen it done with weird toppers people pick out and it can turn out nice. Especially if it's a square on a square cake.... just a thought!

curliesue26 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 3:01am
post #8 of 13

If you have enough time...maybe you could make a bride and groom figure (one on each side of the plaque), like they are holding it up...not sure if I am getting my point across...and would depend on what kind of couple they are. Just a thought

sillyjodes Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 3:25am
post #9 of 13

I think I'd ask her what she had in mind. It sounds like she likes more modern lines and may think it will stand up by itself. She may get upset if it has something visible holding it up. Most people don't think about the logistics.

AlamoSweets Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 3:28am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

How many levels are the cake? Instead of a topper you could put it on the middle layer of the cake and lean it up against the cake itself. I've seen it done with weird toppers people pick out and it can turn out nice. Especially if it's a square on a square cake.... just a thought!

I like this idea. There would definitely have to be more than 2 inches difference between the tiers. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

fidos_mom Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 5:45am
post #11 of 13

If you have time you could make a mehndi/paisley figurine out of gumpaste or fondant with a slot for the figurine to slid into. This could also wrap around the back of the figurine as a support. Or another idea would be to make it kind of like a high heel shoe maybe? With the insole having a place to insert the figurine.

Am I making sense? I can see it in my mind but does it translate? icon_confused.gif

Good luck!! And remember to post pics when you are done. This sounds interesting! thumbs_up.gif

karateka Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:18am
post #12 of 13

Well, I ended up making a stand with a slot for the topper. I covered in in pink gumpaste. Here's a picture:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1285826&done=1

Thanks for all the suggestions! I appreciate it.

fidos_mom Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 5:01am
post #13 of 13

icon_biggrin.gif Great fix! Looks fantastic. And the mehndi is awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%