Ri Stamp Technique?

Decorating By Rocketgirl899 Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 10:35am by ngfcake

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:20am
post #1 of 34

Pardon me if this has already been posted... sometimes the search on CC is great... sometimes it doesn't workicon_smile.gif

On the Foodnetwork Simpson cake challenge I noticed the girl from "Cake Girls" use a RI stamp. I though this was awesome!

I need to make a rather large (4-6in wide) one for a template for my scroll work. Also will use it for the Scroll monogram.

What do I make the imprint on? I thought maybe plexiglass, but it scratches so easily. Then I thought maybe glass? ohhh maybe one of the clear stamp things from the craftstore?

Has anyone ever done this? Do you use RI or something else? Do you make the RI pretty thick? Does it bond well to the surface?

TIA

Thanks icon_smile.gif

33 replies
liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:29am
post #2 of 34

sorry i can't help, but would be interested in the answer.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:45am
post #3 of 34

thanks for the bump icon_smile.gif

lifonahil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lifonahil Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 4:51am
post #4 of 34

I saw them do that to. It was amazing. But sorry i can't help i have never done anything like that. But i would love to have the answer to that question to.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 34

Thanks for the bump lifonahil...

I just figure, I can pipe decently, just not freehand so if I could make my own stamps I have access to THOUSANDS of fonts and clipart.

I can even acess movie fonts that are very specific for themes.. Aladdin, Shrek... everything is on the web icon_smile.gif

I guess If we don't get an anwer I will try things out and post about it. I guess my biggest concern is the RI sticking to whatever I put it on!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 34

I have seen a tutorial before where they used hot glue to impress letters on fondant. I've been meaning to try it. maybe it could work as that too?

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 3:45pm
post #7 of 34

Interesting idea, sounds like I might even be able to do that.....would also like to see how it's done.

MAGGISMITH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MAGGISMITH Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 34

I've made monogram stamps by using all purpose tacky glue. You can use wax paper or parchment. Then I use double sided tape to attach it (still attached to the paper) to the clear stamps from the craft store If you trace the image in a mirror image, when you reverse it for your stamp it's the correct position. HTH
Maggi

Rocketgirl899 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 9:05pm
post #9 of 34

Maggismith..

I think I will give your idea a shot! Thank you icon_smile.gif

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 9:53pm
post #10 of 34

I'm not really getting what an RI stamp is. I missed the show obviously.

Are you saying that you pipe your RI onto something and then "stamp" it onto the side of the cake while it's still wet?

so the idea is that you pipe over a template so each one is the same... hmmm... I am very interested in this.

lifonahil Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 4:11am
post #11 of 34

This is what i saw. She took RI and then drew a picture of the simpsons. After the picture dried hard, She took that stamp and put it into the butter cream to use as an out line to hand pipe her work on the cake. It was fantastic. Everyone even the judges were amazed.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 4:19am
post #12 of 34

oh, ok.

so it leaves an impresson in the BC, the RI stays on the stamp or does it stick onto the cake?

lifonahil Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 4:24am
post #13 of 34

Yes the RI stamps an Imperssion the cake. The RI dosent stick to the cake. It was so cool.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 4:28am
post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGGISMITH

I've made monogram stamps by using all purpose tacky glue. You can use wax paper or parchment. Then I use double sided tape to attach it (still attached to the paper) to the clear stamps from the craft store If you trace the image in a mirror image, when you reverse it for your stamp it's the correct position. HTH
Maggi

Makes a lot of sense, but how do you get tape to stick on parchement or wax paper???? icon_confused.gif I've never been able to.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:19pm
post #15 of 34

I'm a visual learner, so I'm trying to picture it, but I really think I got it now. Thanx!

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:28pm
post #16 of 34

Piping gel will dry hard and you can do the same thing with it. Trace your image with it and let it dry overnight and it will dry hard so you could use it for a stamp.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:31pm
post #17 of 34

I would like to know the answer to this too.

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:36pm
post #18 of 34

I'm thinking hot glue piped on something pliable like acetate or vinyl would work well. I think the vinyl and hot glue would both be benadable after they dry so you could wrap the scroll work around sides of cake.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:44pm
post #19 of 34

The clear blank stamp blocks from Michael's and similar stores are probably the best bet. But anything clear and sturdy would work as well. The principle behind it is simple. You know how har royal icing dries, almost like a rock. So once you trace your deisgn through the clear acrylic, stamp block, what have you, then you have quite a nice sturdy impression maker that you can push into the side of buttercream (crusted) and fondant. Taken care of, and stored properly, it whould last forever.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:51pm
post #20 of 34

why do I think there was a tutorial or clear instructions posted on here at one time?? This sounds familiar (hard to believe my old mind remembers!!) but I will also try a search to see what I can come up with!!!

I would love to try this idea.. I am terrible at drawing and this would be wonderful!!

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:57pm
post #21 of 34

Whatever technique you do end up using, please post a picture so I can see final result, just might dry it one day.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:07pm
post #22 of 34

i could probably try the hot glue style. i've seen it a long time ago but haven't had the guts to try.

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:25pm
post #23 of 34

OKAY, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE start from the beginning.... or lead me to a tutorial or something. I cannot write on a cake for NOTHING! I hate writing on a cake, and this could just be the ticket I need. How do you keep the RI on the parchment or whatever you put it on? Doesn't it peel right off?

TOtally confused and GRATEFULLY accepting any and all help, here! You guys never cease to amaze me!!!!!!!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 6:41pm
post #24 of 34

I will post a tutorial with whatever technique(s) I try.

I don't think I will use the hot glue.. I don't have enough control with that, imo. But the cake is for the 15th, so I will post a link/picutres on hereicon_smile.gif

I am going to try to make sometihng earlier, but we will see icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the help and suggestions icon_smile.gif

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 11:11pm
post #25 of 34

Thank you! Thank you!

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 1:47am
post #26 of 34

I use a pane of glass with the edges taped for safety. Then trace the mirror image design with the RI and let thoroughly dry. You're ready to go now. One trick I learned is that for cake sides measure up from the bottom of the glass to match where you want the design to start on the bottom of the cake side, then you can rest the glass on your cake board/base and just press to get the imprint in exactly the right place. This technique also works on fondant if you do it on fresh/soft fondant.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:06am
post #27 of 34

. . . I think this is an example of what you are talking about . . . shows just how detailed you can get . . . http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1240438

Rocketgirl899 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:25am
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorijom

One trick I learned is that for cake sides measure up from the bottom of the glass to match where you want the design to start on the bottom of the cake side, then you can rest the glass on your cake board/base and just press to get the imprint in exactly the right place. This technique also works on fondant if you do it on fresh/soft fondant.

GREAT TIP!!! Thanks icon_smile.gif

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 6:43pm
post #29 of 34

would plexi glass work? If you used acetate to do the edges of a round cake so it would bend wouldnt it break the royal icing when you bend it?

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:08pm
post #30 of 34

I remember watching a video about it. Someone posted it here but I can't find the link. I'll try to find it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%