Why Do We Do This!

Decorating By deetmar Updated 3 Nov 2008 , 3:46pm by PinkZiab

deetmar Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 11:08pm
post #1 of 24

Sometimes I have to ask myself "why do we do this?" Today I had two tasting's scheduled, one at 10:00, and one at 1:00. I had a anniversary cake go out for my DIL parents today, a superhero cake for one of my favorite clients son's birthday tomorrow, 50 huge Halloween cookies on Thursday, and 150 wedding cookies on Friday. I thought I had things figured out pretty well. Oh, and did I mention we are working on putting my MIL who has Alzheimer's, in a facility all week!

I ran to the store this morning to pick up some butter, while going through the line the cashier asked me if I would do her daughters wedding cake. I'm thinking sure no problem. Then she mentioned the wedding is November 14 of this year! Can you believe it, that's less that two weeks! And... to make matters worse, she is in Canada on a business trip and won't be back until the weekend. So now the day isn't looking so good.

I get home, the 10:00 arrives on time, we have a wonderful meeting everything went great. At 12:00, the 1:00 calls, wants directions and says she will see me at 2:00. I'm thinking no, it's 1:00, I have cakes to get out. She then tells me she will have to get her fiance's *** out of bed, like that's my problem. I politely reminded her that the appointment is at 1:00, then gave her directions. Ok, I am back on tract.

Guess what time she comes? 2:15 Now I am mad, I have a cake I have to get done, I am tired, and I need a nap. They come in and he is stoned out of his mind. He is shaking so bad he can't get the fork to his mouth. Then I find out their wedding isn't until 2010 and there is only going to be 50 guests. And, they only have $50 budgeted for the cake!

So my husband thinks this is all funny, as he is telling me that I wanted to be a cake lady! Someday I will look back and laugh, but right now the bottle of Vodka is looking pretty good to me. Oh, that's right, I am allergic to alcohol! UGH!!!

23 replies
indydebi Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 11:22pm
post #2 of 24

First, congrats on having a full and busy calendar!! thumbs_up.gif

On stressful days, Robert Mondavi is my best friend! icon_lol.gif And it won't be long before you are using your 2:15 bride story .... it will start out like, 'You think THAT'S bad ... wait till you hear this one!" icon_lol.gif

kakeladi Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:39am
post #3 of 24

50 guests w/a $50 budget??? Hope you told here right off your price starts at $3.50 (or do you charge even higher?) icon_smile.gif

Rocketgirl899 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:44am
post #4 of 24

oh.. and if you take this order today.. for 50 bux.. (which you shouldn't) flour and eggs in 2 years will cost $10 a pound/ doz eggs!

No way!

Sorry for your stressful weekend.

saberger Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:55am
post #5 of 24

oh jeezz!!! I feel SO badly for you, but I confess that I was chuckling a bit at the stupidity/ignorance of the $50 fr 50 people not to mention 2010 date! Unbelievable. I guess there are ALL sorts of people out there! I really do feel for you. May I offer you an alchohol free beer? Even better.....go for the chocolate!! You don't get a hangover from it and it soothes all problems. Sneding you hugs!

newmansmom2004 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:07am
post #6 of 24

Holy schmoly you're busy! Good for you - sounds like your confections are very popular!

OK, the people who came late - sorry, but if someone shows up more than 30 minutes late for an appointment, in my book they're not getting the tasting and they have to reschedule. That's very rude of them to impose on your time that way, especially since you reminded the girl that morning that the appointment was at 1:00, not 2:00, and their problem seems to be that they're just lazy slackers.

I hope your foot didn't get stuck in the dude's butt as you kicked them out the door!

JanH Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:09am
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetmar

At 12:00, the 1:00 calls, wants directions and says she will see me at 2:00. I'm thinking no, it's 1:00, I have cakes to get out. She then tells me she will have to get her fiance's *** out of bed, like that's my problem. I politely reminded her that the appointment is at 1:00, then gave her directions. Ok, I am back on tract.

Guess what time she comes? 2:15 They come in and he is stoned out of his mind. He is shaking so bad he can't get the fork to his mouth. Then I find out their wedding isn't until 2010 and there is only going to be 50 guests. And, they only have $50 budgeted for the cake!

So sorry you had to deal with this (cautionary tale of a situation that did indeed go from bad to worse. icon_rolleyes.gif

Think you deserve to eat your chocolates while having a nice bubble bath with scented candles and your favorite music. thumbs_up.gif

sharridee Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:15am
post #8 of 24

I've never posted here before , but this sounds like things that always happen to me.
usually they are late picking up the cake ,like I've got nothing better to do than wait for them,
last week a lady called, wanted a cake for the next day ( 12x1icon_cool.gif okay I can do this then she calls back says she needs it by 10.00 am the next day, okay I can do this too. that night calls again wants to know if I can have it done before 10 am by now I'm mad and tell her there is 2 cakes ahead of hers and that I'll call her if I get it done before 10:00.
so the next day the cake is done and I call her at 9:00am she's delighted...... do you know what time she picked up the #*%@#@ cake ?
11:00 can you believe these people. I'm sure I'll laugh later.. but wow! : icon_mad.gif

forthwife Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:20am
post #9 of 24

I'm sorry you're having such a horribly busy week! It's posts like this that keep me encouraged about being a hobby baker.

SharonK1973 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:42am
post #10 of 24

Well... I just has a meeting with a bride who wanted a cake for 300 people... in two weeks...for less than $300.00 (my expenses alone would be $450.00)...and its supposed to be vegan...and would it help lower the price if she came to my house and helped with the baking (absolutely out of the question!)...Then can we bake and decorate the cake at the site of the reception the day of the reception! I had no choice but to laugh at her... in front of her. Crazy people!

indydebi Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:56am
post #11 of 24

Oh sharon, I read this to my hubby and as cake civilian as he is, he got a big laugh out of it! Sure!! Let's just slap that big 'ole cake together THE MORNING OF the wedding at the reception kitchen! No biggie! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Gosh, my stomach hurts from laughing so hard!!! And I'm with you .... I wouldn't HAVE TIME to train a helper! Especially one who thinks it can be baked and made that morning! Oh, my stomach hurts!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

newmansmom2004 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 2:33am
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonK1973

Well... I just has a meeting with a bride who wanted a cake for 300 people... in two weeks...for less than $300.00 (my expenses alone would be $450.00)...and its supposed to be vegan...and would it help lower the price if she came to my house and helped with the baking (absolutely out of the question!)...Then can we bake and decorate the cake at the site of the reception the day of the reception! I had no choice but to laugh at her... in front of her. Crazy people!

OMG!!!! That's the best one yet! I seriously think we should all pitch in and buy you some sort of prize for that one. How long did they have to sit and listen to you laugh at them and catch your breath before they got up and left???

This just made my whole day! LOL!! thumbs_up.gif

SharonK1973 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 4:07am
post #13 of 24

Yeah! After my good laugh, I said, "Well, this has been fun, but I really need to leave. I have a cake to decorate. All I can suggest is that you order some sheet cakes from Costco... Oh! That's right! Their cakes aren't vegan! Bye!"

deetmar Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:19pm
post #14 of 24

I am so glad that I am not the only one that goes through this.

I hate to say it, but the couple will not be getting a cake from me. I told them that this far out, I couldn't even quote a price, because I didn't know what the price on ingredients is going to be.

My husband was so mad, he wanted me to go up stairs and take a nap, and he was going to tell them I had left for an appointment.

I forgot to mention, he wanted the cake to be made with beer, and beer frosting! I was thinking that in the shape he was in, he didn't need beer on top of it!

I wish I had the guts to laugh in their face. I am sure one of these days, I will.

You guys are the best!

Eisskween Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:35pm
post #15 of 24

OMG! You poor thing. And beer cake and beer icing. Hate to say this, but they sound like a couple of alcoholics whose money is spent more at the bar than on their wedding plans.

Did you meet with them, or opt for the nap. The nap would have been more productive.

Thanks for the much needed laugh! HAHAHAHAHA!

Enjoy your day!

deetmar Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 9:12am
post #16 of 24

Guess who called last night and hired me? OMG it's True. I was so hoping that it was the first tasting. I thought I priced it high enough that there was no way they would hire me. Plus I told them I couldn't give them a definite price at this time, because the wedding is so far out.

My DIL says not to worry, the wedding won't happen. My husband keeps telling me that all brides deserve beautiful cakes!

newmansmom2004 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:10pm
post #17 of 24

Oh my gosh I can't believe they called you back to do their cake! They must have LOVED the tasting! Your DIL is probably right - bet the wedding doesn't happen. They sound way too flaky.

I can't imagine a cake made with beer, but you know those girls at Cake Atelier from the Amazing Wedding Cakes show did a cake with beer buttercream for a bride whose fiancee loved beer. Ick.

indydebi Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:13pm
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

I can't imagine a cake made with beer, but you know those girls at Cake Atelier from the Amazing Wedding Cakes show did a cake with beer buttercream for a bride whose fiancee loved beer. Ick.

I just hope they realize they are not the only two people who will be eating the cake .... they have guests, too, and odds are good that most of them will spit it out and tell all of their friends "Don't buy a cake from her! It tastes like crap!"

julzs71 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:36pm
post #19 of 24

there is a guiness beer cake that is outstanding. but other than that eww.

chassidyg Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:39pm
post #20 of 24

You should show her the 40.00 Sandra Lee cake thats on you tube floating in another thread icon_smile.gif

terri-jo Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 3:06pm
post #21 of 24

my most popular flavor is a chocolate guiness cake. It's dense, rich goodness...perfect for carving, not too sweet.

Thanks for this thread. Although I know how much it sucks to deal with people who just don't get it...50 bucks for 50 people years from now!?!?!?...I appreciate the stories. They're good for a chuckle and reminds me I'm not alone. icon_biggrin.gif

mommyle Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 3:07pm
post #22 of 24

I'm laughing so hard I'm crying!!!
You know, I could be that busy too, if people would bother to phone more than a day before they wanted the flipping cake!!! UGH!!! In the last month alone I've had 6 people call for cakes either for the next day or, even better, they call at like 7:30 am and want a cake for 5:00 that same day. And DELIVERED!!!! I hate people!

jammjenks Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 3:15pm
post #23 of 24

Oh man...I guess stupidity knows no boundaries!

As for the original topic and subject line of "why do we do this?"...It's because at the end of the day we still love what we do. A particular cake and/or customer may aggravate us, but it's what we have to occasionally deal with when we deal with people. As much as I hate that part of it sometimes, I still love to decorate cakes and that's what keeps me ready to answer that next phone call.

PinkZiab Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 3:46pm
post #24 of 24

This is why before I even put a tasting on the books, I inform them of my price range and get a sense of their budget--it saves a lot of wasted time with people who either can't afford me or choose not to spend that much. I also charge for tastings, so that couple would've shot half of their budget with me already! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%