Multi Colored Icing On Cookies?

Baking By thecook Updated 2 Nov 2008 , 12:54am by thecook

thecook Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 8

Sorry, but I can't seem to find the answer to this. So far I have only made one colored cookies iced with Antonio's RI and then decorated. For Christmas this year I would like to make some cookies with more detailed colors. Now when I ice I fill in with tip #4 then shake back and forth on the counter to even out. If I use multi colors can I still do this? Won't the colors spread into each other. What about outlining. Should I outline each color seperate. I'm not good at doing this without the outline.Thanks for any help you can give me.

7 replies
indydebi Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 8

I will say yes, it will melt into itself if you add the second color before the base color dries and hardens. Here's a pic of some cookies where I did that intentionally: You can see on the purple round one (back, left) how it melted into itself. The front Christmas tree, however, has a 3-D look (the red decor) because I put that on last minute and the green base had a chance to set and dry first.

pbeckwith Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 8

If you don't want them to "bleed" into each other, make sure one color is set up before you put another on. I use Toba's recipe - we made acorns, all chocolate icing but let the bottom of the acorn set up, then did the tops and put some sprinkles on while it was wet - that worked beautifully.

antonia74 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 8

If you want the colours to "sink" into one another, my best advise is to make up a big batch of white royal icing and to tint the colours in separate bowls from it.

That is to say, the technique works best when the icing is from the same batch (exact same consistency).

Pipe your multi-coloured details onto the wet background icing right away. Shake as usual and the details will sink "flat" into the main colour.

I've done it with 2 colours, but you'd have to be really fast to do 3 colours. Not impossible, just work fast before the main colour starts to crust!!

thecook Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 11:58pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you so much for your quick answers. If I understand right, I should ice with one color and quickly over pipe my second color to get a smooth top. Is your icing covering very thick when all is said and done?

indydebi Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:17am
post #6 of 8

I wouldn't say mine is very thick. My 15-year old employee did the purple cookie.

antonia74 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:34am
post #7 of 8

No, mine isn't thick at all either. The icing is the consistency of white glue when thinned with water and the overall thickness on the cookie's surface is about 1/4" or less?

thecook Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:54am
post #8 of 8

You guys are great. Thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%