Gumpaste Vs Fondant

Decorating By jouj Updated 2 Nov 2008 , 7:18pm by jouj

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 7

Hi, I was just wondering if making flowers or leaves with gumpaste would make them less breakable than if I made them with mmf. I've had problems with palm tree leaves that I made with mmf, they were breaking a few minutes after I attached them to the trunk.
What if I added Gum-Tex to mmf?

Thanks a lot for your help.

6 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 7

Hi, gumpaste is dries harder than fondant. What you can do is, if you have gumpaste and fondant mix 50/50 from both. I haven't worked with gumtex, but I recently saw a member mentioning that you could add gumtex to fondant. If you are going to do that, add 1/2 a teaspoon of gumtex to 250g fondant. That should work nicely.

HTH.

thefrostedcakencookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thefrostedcakencookie Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 7

I really like a 50/50 gumpaste and fondant mixture. It still will dry hard, but gives you a longer working time.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:46am
post #4 of 7

I have not tried adding GumTex to MMF but have used it over and over in fondant. I would think it would work just as well in MMF.

jouj Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 7

Has anyone tried mixing a small amount of Gum-Tex to MMF??

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 4:10pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelsb78

I really like a 50/50 gumpaste and fondant mixture. It still will dry hard, but gives you a longer working time.

I too use a 50/50 mix and it works great for flowers and bows. Just this week a cake friend of mine that has way more experience than I do...told me that gumpaste is non edible and I should not mix it with my fondant. Is this true? Maybe I should start a new thread...but I would like to know the answer!
Laura

jouj Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 7

I would also like to know if gumpaste is edible.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%