Home Bakers In Nevada . . .

Business By srs7874 Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 8:18pm by srs7874

srs7874 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 6

I would love to start a cake decorating business in Henderson, Nevada but am too paranoid about getting caught baking out of my home. Most people are telling me not to worry so much and I even have a friend who works for the city who says they order their monthly staff birthday cake from a home baker!! So . . .

-Are you a Nevada resident who bakes from home?
-If you do, do you advertise?
-Does anyone know of any commercial kitchens for rent in the Henderson area?
-Do you know if Nevada will license a separate kitchen attached to ones home? (Like turing my dining room into a commercial kitchen)?

Thanks!

5 replies
Sugarchic Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 6

Hi, I don't live in Nevada but since I saw you were in Henderson I thought I'd ask if there are any good cake decorating supply stores there? I will be there friday afternoon til Sunday morning. I 'm helping my aunt move near me in Georgia.

I can tell you that my friend in GA is a very well respected and licensed cake decorator told me to go ahead and do it in my home. If you get caught they just give you a warning and then you can decide what to do,But then again that is in GA.

Good Luck

sillyjodes Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 6

Hi, I'm in the vegas area as well. We're between Summerlin and Centennial. I'm still learning and haven't started selling cakes. However, my Wilton instructor sells out of her home without a license. She's been doing it for about 5 years without any problems. According to info found here, that's illegal. You just need to decide for yourself what you are comfortable with.
As far as store, there is a cake supply store in henderson on Waters street. I picked up some flavorings and cake boards, but it was mostly wilton stuff. I'm trying to find another store in town. Let me know if you find anything. Also, if you want to get together or need a taster, let me know.
Jodie

srs7874 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 6

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. Such a tricky situation. Yes, the only cake store I am familiar with is the on on Water Street in downtown Henderson. It is called Tempting Treasures by Jan. It is a small store but she has a lot of stuff in the back. I am there a few times a month and always find what I need.

Stacey

sillyjodes Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 6

Hey Stacey, what kind of stuff do you find at the store in henderson? Maybe I should give it another chance, but it is a 45m drive for me.
Thanks,
Jodie

srs7874 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 8:18pm
post #6 of 6

Hi Jodie,

I get all of my cake boards and boxes there. Her boards are about 3 times as sturdy as the Wilton ones you can get at Michaels - a needed feature with a heavy cake. She also has a nice selection of seasonable and theme related sugar decorations. I just bought some cute bottles, bibs and babyfaces for the corners of a baby shower cake I just completed. I get my fondant there as she sells the Satin Ice brand which I prefer to the Wilton brand. She has a great selection of icing colors too. Hope this helps.

Stacey

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%