Sugar Veil

Decorating By terrylee Updated 2 Nov 2008 , 11:27pm by terrylee

terrylee Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 10

Who out there in CC land has worked with Sugar Veil....I just ordered some and worked with it last night... It quite amazing stuff....I did a few things, but with the damp weather we are having here in California it took over 12 hours to set..... ( the instructions said 15 min to 24 hours depending on the humitity.) I put one in the oven with the light on this AM to see if that helps to set it quicker.....will let you know.

Any hints, pro or con would be greatly appreciated.........It came with a DVD but they always make it look so easy......Hands on is always the best info.

I did find that you have to really handle it carefully....it will stick to itself, and stick right now......

9 replies
terrylee Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 10

Bump......anyone?

deetmar Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 10

I just used it for the first time this week. I made a spider web that is going to drape over my Super Hero cake. I also used it on my spiderman head that I made out of chocolate, and piped the lines and eyes with SugarVeil. It did take a while to dry, but I started early so I would have enough time.

Sorry I don't know much more than that.

paula1234 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 2:43am
post #4 of 10

I have had the system for over a year now. I really like it. I not only use the airpen ti dispense it but i also use it in bags to make flowers and other designs. it really is a great system. to get use to mine, i set aside a whole day just to play around with it and to see what all i really could do with it

BlueDevil Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:37pm
post #5 of 10

I had pretty good luck with mine (see the skull and roses cake in my photos)...it is SUPER sticky and hard to work with when piping. Hard to get into the bag, and hard to pipe. I suppose this is why they sell the air gun!

My next time around, I will mix it a bit thinner and will probably use a thinner tip...my spider web was a little clunkier than I wanted it to be. Also, it did droop off of the cake a little bit, making me thnk support of any strucutre is important.

E

loriemoms Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:00pm
post #6 of 10

I use it all the time..I use it for mainly for stenciling and for doing monograms and I use the air machine to do things like scroll work from invitations. It does take a good day to dry, I have never had it take just the four hours or whatever they said. I also only mix the amount I need for that project, as I have found it developes alot of air bubbles once it sits for a day and isn't the same consistancy. I also have done some spiderwebs and did a fishermans net with it. I love the comb!! It does cool stuff!

btw, I read somewhere you can use the air machine to reverse it to apply dragees. Does anyone know how to do that?

terrylee Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 6:10pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for the replys.....I used a bag, didn't want to put out that expense if I didn't like it...........

We did a spider web....I think we all seen that cake on TV - and it came out good.....I did put it in the oven with the light on and it dried in about 4 hours. (it's been a little damp here in California)..

Loriemoms - I also found it harder to work with after it sat, and there is an attachment for attaching the dragees....

will post picture soon.

Thanks

loriemoms Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 6:59pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylee

Thanks for the replys.....I used a bag, didn't want to put out that expense if I didn't like it...........

We did a spider web....I think we all seen that cake on TV - and it came out good.....I did put it in the oven with the light on and it dried in about 4 hours. (it's been a little damp here in California)..

Loriemoms - I also found it harder to work with after it sat, and there is an attachment for attaching the dragees....

will post picture soon.

Thanks

Did the attachment come with the kit? What does it look like? I will have to look in my kit..

terrylee Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 11:27pm
post #10 of 10

I just bought the starter........1# of Sugar Veil, DVD, and comb.....but the DVD did show the extra attachment.

I checked the Sugar Veil site - "Vacuum pick up tool kit" If you do a lot of work with dragees I can see where it would be a help....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%