First Bridal Show - Need Help

Business By ljhow623 Updated 26 Nov 2008 , 1:24am by Jenn2179

ljhow623 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljhow623 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 8

What do you need for a bridal show? I have never done one and I've been asked to participate in a bridal show for a local hotel. I would be the only cake vendor there so this would be some good exposure for me and I want to do this right. What do I bring? Do I need to make flyers to hand out? Any advise, tips, suggestions are very much needed and appreciated.

Thanks,
Lisa

7 replies
CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 8

Well done Lisa! This is a great opportunity for you. When I do bridal shows, I take along a number of dummies in different shapes and styles with stands, some flyers, cards, a table cloth (just in case none is supplied), cake samples with the appropriate frostings, some paper napkins, and little containers for the odd bride to take some samples away (a number of them tend to be on a diet), any press cuttings or magazines, printed forms to take contact details, my photo album, and my booking diary as you might be in luck and get some bookings for either a tasting or an actual order. Most importantly, remember to smile, appear confident and try to get contact details for your database. I know I have forgotten a number of things but I'll let you know as soon as I remember anything. You might also want to pm Indydebi, Tonedna, JanH or Antonia 74 who have TONS of experience. Good luck and let us know how you get on!
PS You might also want to take a camera with you (as I said earlier the list is endless.......................)

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:49pm
post #3 of 8

I've only done a few shows. Check with the hotel and see if they are providing you with tables and linens and what color the linens would be. You may want to rent some if they are white.

Dummies, flyers, cards, samples, little napkins, maybe a list of other flavors you offer, book of pictures...

The best thing I've found is do vague chatting, but don't get into too many details with people. Just tell them to call you to schedule a consultation or have a book to go ahead and schedule it. The first one I did I spent like 20 minutes chatting with a bride about a pear themed wedding, all of these other people were just taking samples and walking away and I feel like I lost my opporunity with them. Dress yourself nice too, if you have a chef coat or something very professional to wear.

This is my most recent and most elaborate show. I ordered 3 different tables and the linens to match the dummies I made. I framed pictures with mattes, put out a book. I talked with a florist that would be there ahead of time and got some flowers for her in exchange for putting some of her cards on my table.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 8

Here are a few threads re: bridal shows. The first one has a number of pics from a number of CC'ers.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-580310-bridal.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-593211-bridal.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-584507-bridal.html

Here's some add'l pics of my bridal show set up(s):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55969028@N00/page2/ (see "Adaggio's Bridal Show" pic)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55969028@N00/page5/ (scroll to bottom to "RIchmond (IND) Bridal Show")

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55969028@N00/page6/ (more Richmond bridal show pics)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:49pm
post #5 of 8

I agree with not talking too many specifics with people, get their contact information and get in touch with them later. If it's totally dead, you can talk with them for a while, otherwise don't get sucked into someone hogging your time while other people are ignored and don't say anything to you at all.

The one piece of advice that I would give oyu is to get the best quality paper (business cards, fliers, etc) that you can afford, becasue when these people get home that's what they have to remember you. If you give them a cheap business cards that has the name of the website where you got it for free on the back, that reflects on your business. Good-quality fliers and information sheets cost a little more upfront, but they're worth it because things printed on heavier paper do give people a better inpression of you, whether they know it or not.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:50pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

The one piece of advice that I would give oyu is to get the best quality paper (business cards, fliers, etc) that you can afford, becasue when these people get home that's what they have to remember you

Absolutely. Black and white biz cards are the worst thing you can have. (Mine are bright pink with a photo of a wedding cake on one side and a map to my shop on the other).

When a bride gets home and dumps her bag of bridal show goodies out on the kitchen table, you want your card to be the one that stands out, the one that draws her eye and makes her pick it up and keep it.

When I got with my biz card guy, he said, "Debi, you have to lose the penguin." I said, "but I LUV my penguin! He looks so cute on a black and white card!" He said, "That's the SECOND thing we're going to talk about!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif But it's been the best thing I ever did.

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:17am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

This is my most recent and most elaborate show. I ordered 3 different tables and the linens to match the dummies I made. I framed pictures with mattes, put out a book. I talked with a florist that would be there ahead of time and got some flowers for her in exchange for putting some of her cards on my table.

Your display is lovely, and you cake are beautiful. May I ask what's the thing inside the wine glasses on the cake to the left?

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 1:24am
post #8 of 8

I don't use business cards. I use costom made (thanks DH) oversized postcards I get from Vista Print. Best thing ever. Full color on front with my name and cakes. Other info on back.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%