2012 Ices Convention Cancelled-Recession?

Decorating By quilting2011 Updated 2 Nov 2008 , 1:47am by indydebi

quilting2011 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 5

I just received my November ICES newsletter. ICES withdrew negotiations for 2012 location. ICes withdrew not to put the organization at financial risk.

I have to renew my membership. I think I will renew on a year to year basis. Anyone planning to change from three years to year to year.

Since joining ICES a year ago, I also have learned so much from the newsletters alone.

I guess I will just renew on a year to year basis.

4 replies
indydebi Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 5

I would doubt that "recession" is the reason. I would venture a guess it has to do with trends in attendance and overall membership. Nobody can predict that we will or won't be in a recession 4 years from now. It costs a fortune to put together a convention and if the attendance doesn't cover the costs, then the orgz has to look at if it's really worth it or not.

kakeladi Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:28am
post #3 of 5

Where was it to be held? If it was out of the US there could be lost of legal problems that interfered w/plans.

sari66 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:38am
post #4 of 5

They didn't cancel it what they said was and this is paraphrased "since we have not reached an agreement (this is with the state of Ohio) on several contract clauses negotiations were not concluded. Because there was not compelling need to contract a convention more than 3 years in advance your executive commitee chose to exercise caution and withdraw from negotiations until we are confident that we are not putting our organization at unnecessary financial risk."
Make sense to Me and I will continue to be a member for as long as ICES is around.

indydebi Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:47am
post #5 of 5

sari, that does sound more like a problem with the location and what they might or might not agree to, and less like a recession-based decision.

Quote by @%username% on %date%