Cake Confidence Destroyed By 7 Year Olds! :(

Decorating By gr8cakemaker Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 6:14pm by kimmypooh79

gr8cakemaker Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 20

ok so, I am a fairly new business, I started my business almost a year ago. I have never had any complaints about my cakes, but listen to this! I am still trying to boost my customer basis and decided to make a cake for my nieces 2nd grade class. I decided to do a jack-o-lantern cake that came out pretty neat I think. When I trimmed the cake I did not try it, which I usually do, but didnt this time. I will try to attach a picture of the cake. So my sister delivered the cake yesterday and when my niece got home from school I asked her how everyone liked the cake. She told me that SHE loved the cake (she cant lie to save her life so I knew she was telling the truth), but some of her class mates did not like the cake and even SPIT IT OUT!!! She said that the teachers really loved the cake and only some of the kids liked the cake. I am completely shocked icon_eek.gif, my confidence is shot in the ability to make cakes. I have a lady coming today to pick up another cake and I almost dont want her to come because Im nervous about the cake (I tried this one and I thought it was good). Do you think these are just bratty kids? Should I put any more thought into these kids? That was a big blow to me so be gentle...I take alot of pride in my cakes as Im sure you all do as well. icon_redface.gif
LL

19 replies
stephaniescakenj Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 20

kids are so finnecky! Don't pay attention to them. My daughter came home the other day, one of her classmates brought in chocolate cupcakes for his birthday, she said she hated hers and "needed a drink as soon as we got home to get rid of the nasty taste in her mouth".... only because she doesn't like chocolate. I'm sure there was nothing wrong with the cupcakes. kids only know what they're used to so I wouldn't let it get you down. My kids only like IMBC icing too, they don't eat icing thats powdered sugar based. It was a very cute cake. Great Job!

tdybear1978 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 20

the cake looks awesome. what was the flavor? I have found that kids can be so weird about cake flavor, if it is not white or choc. they don't want it icon_smile.gif

aunt_dodo Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 20

I agree that kids can be so choosey and finnicky....One time I was at a friends house making a cake, her daughter tasted the batter and said "My mom's tastes better than yours" (her mom also does cakes). We used the same exact kind of cake, and they didn't taste any different. lol

I said all that to say, don't worry about it, they are just kids. The cake turned out VERY cute btw...you should be proud of it!

Kristina

Chippi Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:31pm
post #5 of 20

First of all the cake is beautiful! I am not sure but the cake looks like its covered in fondant and I know the first time my family tried fondant half of them liked it and half of them didn't. Your talking 7 yr olds so I can imagine what they came up with as why they didn't like it, their imaginations are great too! I found out some like it some don't and just like the class some liked it some didn't. Keep up the great work your cake is great! icon_smile.gif

Oh and I use MMF it tastes much better than fondant. icon_smile.gif

Chippi icon_smile.gif in the making!

marknelliesmum Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 20

Don't give it another thought!!!!!! Your cake looked fab and I'll bet it tasted great too thumbs_up.gif I am a teacher and the kids in my school (fairly deprived area) never fail to amaze me with what they turn their noses up at. Probably the ones who didn't like it have never tasted real cake before ie. one that is not packed with additives, preservatives etc. many kids live on a diet of junk and have no idea what real food tasted like. Besides don't you think your paying customers would have let you know if their cake was bad - a year full of happy customers - vs - kids with a dead palette (sp?) no contest. Keep your chin up honey you have nothing to worry about thumbs_up.gif

millermom Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:32pm
post #7 of 20

Every time someone brought cake or cupcakes to my kids' elementary school class parties, the kids hardly touched them, and the ones who did licked off all the frosting.

Also, yesterday I did a cake for my daughter's 8th and 9th grade class, and most of the girls picked off the fondant and ate the cake underneath. I don't take offense, it is just a taste thing, and the fact that the teachers liked it tells me this was really just more of a kid thing for you.

nickshalfpint Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:32pm
post #8 of 20

I agree with stephaniescakenj. Kids a re so finicky. The kids that didn't like them probably are just used to something else or they are just brats! I've met a few of those over the years. They are rude, just to be rude. Your cake is sooooo cute. How did you get your frosting so smooth?

gr8cakemaker Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:33pm
post #9 of 20

thanks guys, for the support. It was just a yellow cake with regular buttercream icing. The thing is, I used part of the mix to make cupcakes for my sons halloween party (a bunch of 2 and 3 year olds) and they LOVED the cupcakes...they were gone in seconds.

Kitagrl Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:42pm
post #10 of 20

Too many Americans are teaching their children to be ungrateful... I won't go into a political/social tirade LOL... but...

I have seen it too many times.... its very important that our kids learn to say "thank you" and appreciate the efforts of others. Sorry that your child had to see other kids spitting out cake and complaining! I know that would hurt my kids' feelings as they are very proud when I make something for their school class.

I know one time we had a party for my nephew and neices (who are now in foster care...rough situation...a mess....they've lived "off the system" for their entire lives) and I made a fancy cake for them, and my MIL bought them birthday gifts, etc.

Well they didn't like the cake...they turned their noses up at it...and they took the gifts from my MIL and ripped the paper open and scarcely looked at the gifts before saying "Is this all you got me? Did you get anything else?" I was horrified. These were kids that supposedly had it "bad" and I would think they would enjoy special things but...

Oh well. Its kids I guess. Lets just determine to make a difference with OUR kids so that when we are older, the new generation at least has some people that are still grateful and polite citizens.

stephaniescakenj Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:50pm
post #11 of 20

I second that Kitagrl!!!!!

nickshalfpint Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:59pm
post #12 of 20

kitagrl.....I agree with you 100%. I taught my kids to say please and thank you and to appreciate everything they have. Some times we have to keep them in check. I always tell them if they don't like it be polite about it and don't make a scene. Last year one of the moms in the class brought CC's and none of the kids liked them, most were polite about it, but some were so over the top rude, I wanted to yell at them. But their parents were right there and said nothing. My son would've got "THE EYE", and he would've know to act right! The cupcakes weren't bad, but they texture was different, and that's all it took for the kids not to like them.

Narie Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:59pm
post #13 of 20

Kids are kids. They eat gummy worms for heaven's sake. Next time give them cupcakes with purple or acid green frosting, sprinkles and chocolate google eyes and call that good. Also cupcakes are easier to handle in the classroom - you don't have to come up with a knife or cut the cake. Save the neat cakes for adults, put the fancy one in the teacher's lounge. The kids aren't going to order cakes, teachers will.

trishalynn0708 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 4:04pm
post #14 of 20

kids are kids.. Your cake turned out awesome!!

AmyGonzalez Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 7:38pm
post #15 of 20

I agree that kids will be kids, they are very picky and only like certain kinds of foods. It looks like your cake had fondant and most kids don't like that. I know how you feel. I made some NFSC for my daughters 2nd grade class. She loved them, the teacher loved them....but some of the kids did not. icon_sad.gif My daughter said some of them spit it out too. icon_surprised.gif I was like WHAT? It's just a sugar cookie, but then I realized that kids are kids. I wouldn't give it a second thought. Your cake looked amazing! icon_biggrin.gif

hallow3 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 8:46pm
post #16 of 20

Well, I have learned what my audience will be also. My husband and I went to a party one night and we brought a cake, I normally do not make the oh so very sweet frosting and thought the party was for grown ups so I made my not so sweet frosting, but there was a few kids there and when they tried the cake they hated it. Oh my goodness, I was almost heartbroken to hear a little kid say he did not like my cake and come to find out, he did not like the frosting, I guess he was used to the oh so sweet version or the kind that came in a can. So now, when I make cake and it is more for kids, I usually make the more sweeter frosting and nothing fancy either. No strawberry fillings, bavarian creams ect. I save those for the all adult parties that I know will appreciate a good cake.

mbelgard Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 9:16pm
post #17 of 20

Kids are creatures of habit and often think that a food isn't good if it's something they aren't used to. I'd guess that most of them aren't used to homemade items.

Calling these children brats isn't called for. How many adults have foods that they won't eat? Can any of you say that if you sampled something you might not finish it because you don't care for the way it tastes? Sure the kids might have been more polite to have swallowed the bite they took and quietly not eaten the rest but they're KIDS not adults and aren't as likely to remember their manners when their parents aren't there to enforce it.

Carolynlovescake Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 3:13am
post #18 of 20

My son refuses to eat any cupcakes that are not baked from mom. He loves any flavor and isn't picky.

What he's critical on is the look. He will literally walk in and say "that rose is good" "that rose is bad" "that leaf is to long" "that leaf is to short."

That kid is right on target.

Then dad walks in and starts in on the same exact thing. icon_mad.gif

The apple didn't fall far from the tree there now did it? icon_lol.gif

LNW Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 10:05pm
post #19 of 20

Kids are picky. My nearly 7yo dd HATES my dark chocolate mousse. It's been one of my best selling fillings this year especially with kids. But she thinks eating turkey hotdogs with a slice of banana with each bite is the BEST. I wouldn't let the opinion of a group of little kids make or break my business. They eat weird stuff anyways.

kimmypooh79 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 6:14pm
post #20 of 20

In my experience with kids and cake.....it was probably the fondant. I use MMF and my sister asked me not to make anymore fondant covered cakes because the kids don't like it. Now I just use BC with fondant accents. Honestly, I don't like it either and cakes no good without icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%