Fruit Flies- Help!!!

Decorating By Lenette Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 4:34am by Michelle104

Lenette Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 30

We bought some bananas a few weeks ago and within days were infested with fruit flies. Now I can't get rid of them and it is really driving me nuts. I tell you for every 1 that I kill 15 more appear! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I did some reading on the net but I was wondering if anyone here has any tried and true ways of getting rid of these pests!!!!

HELP PLEASE!!!

29 replies
mommabear Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 30

I just read this trick online a few weeks ago and gave it a try and it definitly works !! Take a cup and pour in some apple cider vinegar and add a drop of dish liquid. I didnt do any exact mesurements, just threw it in and let me tell you by the end of the night they were ALL floating in the bottom of that cup!! The cider is supposed to attract them and the soap kills em.

sillyjodes Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 30

We had fruit flies this past summer. We sat out small shallow dishes of vinegar or wine with a little honey in it. Works like a charm. Also, if you have any houseplants, put 1/4" of sand on top of the dirt, so the flies are unable to lay their eggs.
Jodie

luelue1971 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 30

I've been having the same problem. They seem to be gone now finally.

Kbbaby Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 30

I used the same trick with apple cider vinegar, but it will also work with fruit juice, etc. Just make sure to add plastic wrap over the container and poke a few little holes for the fruit flies to enter. Then they can get in, but can't figure out how to get out. We would catch maybe 15 to 20 fruit flies over a few days. Good luck!

MikeRowesHunny Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 8:25pm
post #6 of 30

We had awful trouble with thse this year too! Best solution - wine bottle with a bit of wine left at the bottom, add a drop of dish liquid (this breaks the surface tension of the wine so they drown) and leave where the fruit flies are. Best method I have ever tried - killed dozens within hours!

Lenette Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 11:40pm
post #7 of 30

Thank you all for your replies. I put out the apple cider this morning and they are drawn to it but not many have drowned yet.

Odd thing is that I tried orange juice with plastic wrap (with little holes) and didn't get one. I don't event think they landed on the cup!
I must have done something wrong! Maybe the OJ is too acidic??

I hope this will eventually take them out. Thanks again for your help!

margaretb Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:16am
post #8 of 30

I used to buy fruit fly traps, and then I read about the cup with plastic wrap idea. I use a container that I can throw out entirely and not have to wash out, and I put in a few pieces of fruit -- end of a banana, orange slices, whatever and put the plastic wrap on top. If you aren't catching many you can try moving the cup to a different location or try making the holes slightly smaller or larger in case they either can't get in or find it too easy to get out. I also recommend throwing it out after a couple days and replacing, because they will lay their little eggs in the cup as well, and after a few days (I think 5 but I'm not sure) the eggs will hatch and you will have a ton a fruit flies in there, which is fine unless someone pulls the plastic up. Another thing I do if they are bad is put up a sticky fly tape under a light and leave the light on all night. That catches a few as well.

cupcake Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 6:42am
post #9 of 30

A pest control guy told me that the flies like to hang and breed in the drains. He told me to pour bleach in the drains only after you are sure you will not run any more water that day. Repeat in 7 days to catch the newly hatched ones. It worked for me. /This procedure for all drains including floor drains.

Frankyola Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:05am
post #10 of 30

That is good to know thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

7yyrt Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 4:15pm
post #11 of 30

I do the same as mommabear. I actually leave a little cup on the kitchen windowsill all the time. They so often come in with fruit from the store.

Michelle104 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 5:38pm
post #12 of 30

I am with cupcake. My girlfriend had to open the floor drain in her laundry room and a swarm of them came out. The pest control guy said that they will nest there but that also they can come from other people's homes in your neighborhood by this route as well. He said that it's a good practice to bleach all drains every so often to help to keep this from happening..... icon_eek.gif

KoryAK Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 6:38pm
post #13 of 30

Another idea I read: Put your bananas or whatever is the problem in the oven with the door open overnight. First thing in the am, slam that puppy shut and turn it on! It will get 90%+ and then the rest can be easily removed with one of the other methods.

southerncake Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:04pm
post #14 of 30

It seems everyone is having fruit fly troubles this year! We had a horrible time with them several months ago and I was desperate and really searched the internet for days trying to get rid of them.

Similar to the others, I put a little apple juice in a bowl, add about a teaspoon or so of vegetable oil, and then cover with plastic wrap with holes poked in the top. I placed several of these around the areas where they were.

I also poured a little bleach in the drain each night before bed and then stuffed the drain with a paper towel and then some aluminum foil.

This worked great!

robinscakes Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:12pm
post #15 of 30

We have them in the bakery and it's such an old building with cracks and spaces between the doors and the walls that the exterminator said there's really nothing that will stop them until it gets cold. We're having a warm spell now, and they're not going any time soon. They do like the cookie frosting, so sometimes I'll put some out on a scraper in the sink and they'll flock to it. Then I spray them with bleach. That kills them right away. The bleach down the drain helps, and we put out wine glasses with plastic wrap on the top. Poke hole in the plastic and they crawl in, get drunk and drown.

southerncake Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:21pm
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinscakes

they crawl in, get drunk and drown.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:43pm
post #17 of 30

Hey, you should e-mail Sarah Palin, she sure thinks they are useless!!
FYI: Fruit flies have been a key source of research for autism.

nickshalfpint Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 7:49pm
post #18 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabbyChic_Confections

Hey, you should e-mail Sarah Palin, she sure thinks they are useless!!
FYI: Fruit flies have been a key source of research for autism.

How do they use them for research for autism?

PS....I'm not being a smart a$$, I really am curious icon_smile.gif

grama_j Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 8:02pm
post #20 of 30

"Hey, you should e-mail Sarah Palin, she sure thinks they are useless!!"
HEY, YOU should take your wise cracks to a political board... there are a ton of them.........

mandy711 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 8:16pm
post #21 of 30

pour sweet alchohol like schnapps into a wide mouth cup and watch the magic happen!! It works everytime!!

liapsim Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 8:20pm
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcake

A pest control guy told me that the flies like to hang and breed in the drains. He told me to pour bleach in the drains only after you are sure you will not run any more water that day. Repeat in 7 days to catch the newly hatched ones. It worked for me. /This procedure for all drains including floor drains.

That's what we do to get rid of them too. Works like a charm!

ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 8:31pm
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by grama_j

"Hey, you should e-mail Sarah Palin, she sure thinks they are useless!!"
HEY, YOU should take your wise cracks to a political board... there are a ton of them.........

Sorry grama_j if I offended you, but last I checked freedom of speech was still part of the constitution.

grama_j Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 8:35pm
post #24 of 30

Sorry grama_j if I offended you, but last I checked we live in freedom of speech was still part of the constitution.

You may say anything you wish in the proper venue..... THIS is a CAKE board........ not the place for politics......

sillyjodes Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 8:41pm
post #25 of 30

I would just like to add that I came her today to escape the crazy political rhetoric that has enveloped our country for some time now. It's just been too much on all sides for most of us. Please be considerate of that.

3GCakes Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 8:59pm
post #26 of 30

I am relieved to see I am not the only one with this problem. They seem to be breeding or atleast enjoying when I put dirty kitchen towels down in the basement before I clean them.

For a while I thought they were termites!

nickshalfpint Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 9:02pm
post #27 of 30

I have them and can't figure out where they are coming from. I'm glad someone said something about the sink, I never thought of that.

just_for_fun Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 9:25pm
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyjodes

I would just like to add that I came her today to escape the crazy political rhetoric that has enveloped our country for some time now. It's just been too much on all sides for most of us. Please be considerate of that.

That is exactly what I was thinking. Really, there's a time and place for everything.

amberc75 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 9:32pm
post #29 of 30

I was in Wal-Mart a couple of days ago looking at fruit, and they were ALL OVER the pears, and I do mean ALL over.... it looked like fur from a few feet away! Yuck!

Michelle104 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:34am
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberc75

I was in Wal-Mart a couple of days ago looking at fruit, and they were ALL OVER the pears, and I do mean ALL over.... it looked like fur from a few feet away! Yuck!

icon_eek.gif UGH!!!!! That is soooo gross!!! BLEH!!! I didn't have apple cider vinegar but I have red wine vinegar and have put out the cup with the dishsoap and the vinegar, we'll see if I get any in there.... icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%