Choc0-Pan And Fondant

Decorating By Dinny2222 Updated 2 Nov 2008 , 2:10am by alidpayne

Dinny2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dinny2222 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 12:46pm
post #1 of 5

Are these two interchangeable? Can I use choco-pan in the same way as fondant? Does it roll out the same and can you make decorations? Also can this be used for Aine2 models? Thanks

4 replies
jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinny2222

Are these two interchangeable? Can I use choco-pan in the same way as fondant? Does it roll out the same and can you make decorations? Also can this be used for Aine2 models? Thanks

Choco-pan can be used just like fondant. It can be a bit soft sometimes, depending on the weather. You can actually roll Choco-pan thinner than fondant if you wanted to. You definitely can make decorations with it. I have used Choco-pan with tylose added for modeling. It will not dry as hard as gumpaste or fondant though, so I tend to use fondant with tylose instead.

Hope that helps!!!!

Jessica icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 5

from one fondant newbie to another.... icon_biggrin.gif ! I find the already-colored choco-pan has a different texture than the plain white choco-pan. I used blue choco-pan for my blue-skirted cake and used white choco-pan for one that I'm setting up this afternoon. The white seemed to hold together and be easier to handle much better than the colored.

Of course my disclaimer is that I've used fondant/choco-pan on a whopping 3 cakes, so it could be just the way I'm handling it and my inexperience with it! icon_redface.gif

Luv the choco-pan taste, though!!!

Dinny2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dinny2222 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks it does help! This place rocks!!

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 2:10am
post #5 of 5

I love choco-pan, and use it EXCLUSIVELY for covering cakes now, but for modeling I find it too soft, even with tylose or gumtex added in. I have had success using the choco-pan in a 50/50 gumpaste mix though, it really made for a smooth dough that didn't crack or get that weird wrinkly skin that you sometimes get when modeling. Hope that helps.

Debi, thanks for the info on the choco-pan colors. I have been meaning to order some to try out, I guess I really need to do that so I can play before I actually get in a situation where I have to use it on a cake and have no trial & error room.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%