Help! The Fondant Is Falling Of The Cake.

Decorating By Cynthia_Razo Updated 3 Nov 2008 , 1:40pm by saap1204

Cynthia_Razo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynthia_Razo Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 8:46am
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone. I am making the baby in a flower pot cake and the fondant if falling off. I followed the instructions and I don't know what went wrong. The cake is to be picked up at 3:00pm today and I'm going crazy. Can anyone please tell me what to do, please...

11 replies
tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 9:12am
post #2 of 12

do you mean like the fondant is tearing and falling off the cake? or like you are trying to put on fondant decor. and it is not sticking?

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 1:46pm
post #3 of 12

Did you "glue" with a brushing of water?

Cynthia_Razo Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 12

It's not tearinf it's actually falling. The fondant is not sticking. I've never before made a cake like this and I am going crazy.

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 12

i dont know if its too late but did you try royal icing to glue the fondant bits on? that always works for me - just egg white and icing sugar mixed together to form a sticky paste.

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 12

did you let your BC crust? spritz with a fine mist of water.... then recover..

I find I can't let me BC crust or else the fondant doesn't stick.

Also when attaching accents instead of only water I use a little water with a little fondant dissolved in it to make it thick.

hope that helps. Good luck!

Cynthia_Razo Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 5:34pm
post #7 of 12

thank you so much for your help Rocketgirl899. The BC did crust so I did spray mist of water and it sort of worked.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 8:52pm
post #8 of 12

well i hope things worked out for you. I remember your post with concerns and I didn't even think about BC crusting!

Also, something I find helpful is telling myself I can do it. Don't be afraid of the fondant!!!! or the acke for that matter.

I am making calla lillies for the first time next week, for a wedding and I am freaking out about it, but I have read all I can, and I am just telling myself I can do it. It might take time, but I CAN!!

Post a photo of the final cake please icon_smile.gif

If you are going to continue fondant work I would suggest sharon's sugarshack DVD on Fondant. I haven't seen it but the BC and stacking videos are amazing. I can only imagine what the fondant one will be like. They are $25 bux each but so worth it. (shipping costs $8.5, which sucks..imo, but I understand) I bought 2 DVDs and the "quilter," so it wasn't as bad for the shipping icon_smile.gif

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 9:08pm
post #9 of 12

[quote="Rocketgirl899"]
I am making calla lillies for the first time next week, for a wedding and I am freaking out about it, but I have read all I can, and I am just telling myself I can do it. It might take time, but I CAN!!
quote]

Rocketgirl, Edna has an AMAZING video on Youtube on making calla lilies, it helped me immensely. She's wonderful!

Best,
Karen

Rocketgirl899 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 9:55pm
post #10 of 12

Karen,

I have STUDIED her calla videos. icon_smile.gif hehe. Thank you thoicon_smile.gif

Rocket

Cynthia_Razo Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:12am
post #11 of 12

I do sometimes get scared of fondant. It's that the problem with me is that I haven't had a chance to take any classes at all. I came across a Wilton book at Hobby Lobby and I started looking at the pictures and reading the instructions and I went for it. I started baking and decorating cakes, I didn't have any expierence at all. Well here's the picture I got the idea from an article here on CC and I just had to try it. And once again Thank You...
LL
LL

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 1:40pm
post #12 of 12

That cake is adorable. Your flowers are beautiful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%