Help! The Fondant Is Falling Of The Cake.

Decorating By Cynthia_Razo Updated 3 Nov 2008 , 1:40pm by saap1204

Cynthia_Razo Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 8:46am
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone. I am making the baby in a flower pot cake and the fondant if falling off. I followed the instructions and I don't know what went wrong. The cake is to be picked up at 3:00pm today and I'm going crazy. Can anyone please tell me what to do, please...

11 replies
tdybear1978 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 9:12am
post #2 of 12

do you mean like the fondant is tearing and falling off the cake? or like you are trying to put on fondant decor. and it is not sticking?

tonimarie Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 1:46pm
post #3 of 12

Did you "glue" with a brushing of water?

Cynthia_Razo Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 12

It's not tearinf it's actually falling. The fondant is not sticking. I've never before made a cake like this and I am going crazy.

Cathy26 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 12

i dont know if its too late but did you try royal icing to glue the fondant bits on? that always works for me - just egg white and icing sugar mixed together to form a sticky paste.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 12

did you let your BC crust? spritz with a fine mist of water.... then recover..

I find I can't let me BC crust or else the fondant doesn't stick.

Also when attaching accents instead of only water I use a little water with a little fondant dissolved in it to make it thick.

hope that helps. Good luck!

Cynthia_Razo Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 5:34pm
post #7 of 12

thank you so much for your help Rocketgirl899. The BC did crust so I did spray mist of water and it sort of worked.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 8:52pm
post #8 of 12

well i hope things worked out for you. I remember your post with concerns and I didn't even think about BC crusting!

Also, something I find helpful is telling myself I can do it. Don't be afraid of the fondant!!!! or the acke for that matter.

I am making calla lillies for the first time next week, for a wedding and I am freaking out about it, but I have read all I can, and I am just telling myself I can do it. It might take time, but I CAN!!

Post a photo of the final cake please icon_smile.gif

If you are going to continue fondant work I would suggest sharon's sugarshack DVD on Fondant. I haven't seen it but the BC and stacking videos are amazing. I can only imagine what the fondant one will be like. They are $25 bux each but so worth it. (shipping costs $8.5, which sucks..imo, but I understand) I bought 2 DVDs and the "quilter," so it wasn't as bad for the shipping icon_smile.gif

Eisskween Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 9:08pm
post #9 of 12

[quote="Rocketgirl899"]
I am making calla lillies for the first time next week, for a wedding and I am freaking out about it, but I have read all I can, and I am just telling myself I can do it. It might take time, but I CAN!!
quote]

Rocketgirl, Edna has an AMAZING video on Youtube on making calla lilies, it helped me immensely. She's wonderful!

Best,
Karen

Rocketgirl899 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 9:55pm
post #10 of 12

Karen,

I have STUDIED her calla videos. icon_smile.gif hehe. Thank you thoicon_smile.gif

Rocket

Cynthia_Razo Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:12am
post #11 of 12

I do sometimes get scared of fondant. It's that the problem with me is that I haven't had a chance to take any classes at all. I came across a Wilton book at Hobby Lobby and I started looking at the pictures and reading the instructions and I went for it. I started baking and decorating cakes, I didn't have any expierence at all. Well here's the picture I got the idea from an article here on CC and I just had to try it. And once again Thank You...
LL
LL

saap1204 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 1:40pm
post #12 of 12

That cake is adorable. Your flowers are beautiful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%