How Do I Make The Color Periwinkle??? Help!!!!

Decorating By merciermom Updated 2 Nov 2008 , 7:42am by glendaleAZ

merciermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
merciermom Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 4:30am
post #1 of 8

I got a request to make a Shoe cake on top of a pillow with polka dots, the colors requested are light yellow and periwinkle. I need some suggestions on First How the heck do i make Periwinkle????? and what color should I make the pillow and polka dots?? I thought making the pillow light yellow since i can do that and make the polka dots periwinkle. Or do you think it would look better the other way around? i made the high heel shoe, Dark yellow and the sole white. If that makes it easier to help me decide on the colors. HELP ME CC memebers!!!! HELP ME!!! I didn't even know what periwinkle was until this request. So I went to Home depot and got a color sample from the Paint area. NOW AGAIN How do I make this color!!!!! HELP!!!
Thanks in advance!!
Merciermom; Angel icon_eek.gif

7 replies
alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 8

periwinkle is a bluish purple. So use blue and purple in small amounts until you get the desired depth of color.

MayWest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MayWest Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 8

I use corn blue (I think this is the name) and purple a little at a time until I reach the color desired.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 11:53pm
post #4 of 8

To add to what the others said, periwinkle is also light/pastel, so if worse comes to worse you can add more white/plain icing to lighten up what you've made. Good Luck! I'm sure it will turn out beautifully! princess.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:00am
post #5 of 8

Perwinkle is considered to be a light indigo or a pastel lavender/blue. Add color slowly to achieve the exact shade you want... and the true trick is to add just a tip of a toothpick of black to the mix to add the underlying depth. If the person who asked you to make the cake has something they want you to match, that would be best. Ask them for a picture, etc.

merciermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
merciermom Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 2:45am
post #6 of 8

Thank you so very much everyone!!!! I will get to experimenting!!! I didn't know what blue to use... Corn blue, sky blue, royal blue, just blue, etc... GEEZ! I was at such a loss!! thanks again for the input and if you can think of anything else I really would appreicate it!!

Thank you again!!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 2:52am
post #7 of 8

If I was making periwinkle, I would use cornflower first if I had it 'cause that's close enough. But otherwise I'd use royal blue and add some red icing. Adding red color is too strong so I'd add some red icing like a dot at a time till I got there.

signed,
old fashioned color mixer person

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 7:42am
post #8 of 8

Try Royal Blue and Violet

Note:
When mixing color always mix a small amount of color to experiment. Start with base color and then add very small amounts of secondary color. Be sure to mix enough color for the cakes to be decorated as it is difficult to match an exact color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%