Can You Help Me With This Bride's Order?

Business By cakesbycathy Updated 2 Nov 2008 , 2:16pm by Lynnzee

cakesbycathy Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:59am
post #1 of 6

I have a tasting set up with a bride getting married next October. The whole wedding has a fall theme. Bride has told wedding planner (WP) she wants centerpiece cakes for each of the tables and a larger cake for the head table. The centerpiece cakes will be replicas of the larger cake.

The head table will have 16 people and there will be 20 tables with 10 guests at each table.

My current line of thinking is to do a 6" and 8" cake for the head table (even though that will be more than 16 servings) and 4" and 6" cakes for the centerpieces.

I've never done centerpiece cakes before, but having read many a thread here on CC, am aware of the PITA factor of mini cakes (which I did explain to the WP).

Please help! Do those sizes seem right? Can you give me some pricing help also?

I need to get back to the WP tomorrow, so I need help asap!!

5 replies
stephaniescakenj Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 6

I do 6" and 4" stacked cakes all the time. Most people I know prefer that over a plain 8" or 9" single tier cake because its a bit more special for a small party. They're not difficult at all, I think in terms of a small cake being difficult, most people are referring to 2" and 3" cakes. They are a pain in the butt! I think the only thing to really stress about is the quantity but if she wants every cake to be the same then just do an assembly line, at least you don't have to come up with 20 different designs! The 8" and 6" will be too much cake but what you could suggest is have them cut the 8" and save the 6" for their anniversary. As for price, I would definitely go higher than your standard price by a dollar or more, I think Indydebi says to ask what the budget is up front and from there you can put together a design within that budget, that way you're not wasting your time designing something they can't afford. It's way more time consuming to make 21 cakes for one event than it is for one big cake for 200+ people. That sounds like a great project though!

indydebi Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:00am
post #3 of 6

Assuming you mean 4" and 6" 2-layer cakes, these will serve approx 8+12 = 20 servings per table. So be sure the bride understands that SHE IS PAYING FOR twice as much cake as she really needs. I dont' care that she is only going to cut them into 10 pcs for the 10 people at the table ... she has to pay for the quantity of cake it's DESIGNED to serve.

That's why centerpiece cakes cost more .... because the bride is buying 2 or 3 times more cake than she needs.

I have actually run the numbers for brides on my FAQ page. In this scenario, 20 tables with cakes big enough to feed 20 people = 400 servings, PLUS the head table cake ...... and she's doing this for 200 people.

In my pricing world, she's paying $1200 for the centerpiece cakes when she could pay $600 for a traditional wedding cake.

Be sure she understands this.

MichelleM77 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:12am
post #4 of 6

OT....I don't get centerpiece cakes. Are the guests supposed to cut their own slice?

cakesbycathy Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 5:40am
post #5 of 6

I did explain to the wedding planner that she is going to have more cake than she needs. Not to mention she'll also need 20 cake serving utensils, since apparently the guests are going to cut the cake themselves.

I gave her 2 quotes - one for a traditional wedding cake and another for the centerpiece cakes. I did explain the PITA factor about why the qoute for the centerpiece cakes was almost $400 higher. We'll see. icon_rolleyes.gif

Lynnzee Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 6

This sounds like a great project!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%