10.31.08 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 3 Nov 2008 , 2:45am by dabear

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:41am
post #31 of 47

all4cake
Your duck is soooo cute! I've never made one either-I guess that' s why I'm having problems!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:45am
post #32 of 47

Can you stick it in th freezer for 10 minutes?

dabear Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:46am
post #33 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

The top layer?

leah_s Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:46am
post #34 of 47

That duck is great!! Did you airbrush or use dusts?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:50am
post #35 of 47

Thank you dabear!

If your top layer, which is iced and decorated, is on a board(from where you removed it to try to save what you thought was a fiasco), why not just trim the board to fit the layer and leave it on it? add some of the choc icing to camouflage the edge of the board. add 4 supports in the bottom section(which is two layers, one white(creme filling) atop a chocolate(cookie) layer). I know you said you wanted to keep them together, but if it's going to collapse....

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:50am
post #36 of 47

Where are my manners? I'm so sorry!

Thank you!

airbrushed

leah_s Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:50am
post #37 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabear

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

The top layer?

yes

You might have to use a thin knife to get it off the board, but if it's partially frozen it should hold together.

The other option is to leave the board and ice the edge of the board.

dabear Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 6:05am
post #38 of 47

Thank-you for your help! I think I will re-ice the white layer with a thin coat of b/c. And go to bed! After I wake up tomorrow(well, this morning!) I will briefly freeze the top of the "cookie" and place it on top of the cake and fix the mess ups. And pray it arrives safely to my friend's nephews wedding.
a BIG thank-you for listening and for the advice!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 7:32am
post #39 of 47

Hi everybody!
I have to make an spider (black widow) for tomorrow but a dear friend passed last week and we had the service this afternoon, I just got my kids costumes today and after all the trick or treating it's past midnight and I'm just starting to bake!!!! icon_sad.gif I have no idea when I'm going to finish but is good to know there is some CCers up with me. I'm not really stressed because it's not a difficult cake but still I really want to go to bed now, icon_cry.gif I guess I'll bake tonight and do the rest tomorrow. Anyhow I'll stick around for a while

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 7:41am
post #40 of 47

Warning this will be a whiney vent!

I HATE HATE HATE square cakes! I have only done one other one before tonight and both times I have a TERRIBLE time getting the fondant smooth, there are all these ridges along the sides! I never have that problem with rounds. This cake tonight had me almost in tears many times. I am not happy with the cake. It looks like crap. It looks like my 3 year old made it with help from my 8 year old. I have been up all night long since Wednesday working on various aspects of this darn cake (board covered in fabric, small boards covered in yellow paper to hold each of the 4 cakes, fondant animals made to match the napkins for the party, plus all the fondant, icing, ect). I am tired and my back is killing me. I think I am NOT going to be offering square cakes EVER... well I will offer them but only if they are willing to pay 50 bucks a serving paid in full at least 4 months in advanced. Yeah that will happen about the same time pigs fly and hell freezes over. I bet I would have better luck selling all my brand new square pans on ebay, I'll do that tomorrow!
Thanks for letting me vent, I post a pic tomorrow of the nightmare cake, that I seriously contemplated throwing against the wall several times!

leah_s Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 12:34pm
post #41 of 47

I also hate square cakes. I'd rather do any thing else. But I mostly hate them in bc. If they've gotta have square, then I almost require fondant. Get the corners smoothed down first, then do what you do with round in the middle of the sides.

How did everybody do last night?

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:29am
post #42 of 47

Sorry I didnt get back on last night I cleaned the best I could and then crashed, my wedding cake went pretty well, I had to do swags on the cake, like alot of the older style cakes which kinda shocked me. It was for a younger couple. I always do real plain cakes with ribbon or scrolls or dots, so this one really got me. It like the picture they sent me so I hope they are happy. I havent had a chance to download it but I will. Hope eveyone is well and survived!!

raamlozano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raamlozano Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 7:17am
post #43 of 47

Hi, I'm new in cake decorating, and i have a lot of questions, can somebody tell me how to draw a human face in a cake, let me explain, the other day a friend ask me for a Hannah Montana cake, i want it to make her face but not the one you print on rice paper, but i don't know how to do it, so i ended up with the logo and a guitar i wasn't completely happy with the result, but my hubby said it was very pretty

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 8:01am
post #44 of 47

all4cake just seen your duck and he looks gorgeous!!
love the way the wings turned out and Oh man........just everything about him is stunning!! wish I could make something that nice, would be too scared to even try!!

dabear Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:26pm
post #45 of 47

The cake arrived safely at the wedding! It wasn't as smooth after I removed the top, but managed to at least save the cake! Thank-you!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 3:40pm
post #46 of 47

Alright as promised here is the crazy baby shower cake! That kept me up all night for 3 days straight!
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1283362&done=1

dabear Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:45am
post #47 of 47

Those cakes are so adorable!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%