How Do I Make An Even Grid On Sheet Cake For Cutting Squares

Decorating By charleezgal Updated 1 Nov 2008 , 1:36am by indydebi

charleezgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleezgal Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 1:19am
post #1 of 3

Hello friends,

I need to make a 12x18 sheet cake for a bridal shower and they want it to be decorated in a grid style for easy piece cutting guide. They want a rose on each piece. So how do you mark the cake for perfectly even grid lines? I'll bet one of you out there probably has a really cool way to do this. They cake is due on the 8th of Nov., so please help me if you can.

Thanks a bunch. Cake Central always comes through for me!

Teresa thumbs_up.gif

2 replies
EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 1:29am
post #2 of 3

Buy and impression mat or use a cooling grid. But I'm just shooting blindly with ideas. I'm not sure if there are better ways or not.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 1:36am
post #3 of 3

I made one for a wedding and in the border, every 2", I placed an icing dot. I pointed it out to the kitchen staff that all they had to do was cut it dot-to-dot for perfectly even 2" squares.

You can measure 2" down the sides and mark it ... then use tooth floss or another type of thread to make a line from dot to dot, across the cake. Then cover the thread line with an icing line. (Similar to the chalk-line tool used by contractors.

Here's a press they make to do this, too: https://www.confectioneryhouse.com/product.php?productid=4445&cat=337&page=1

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%