Wedding Cake For In-Laws....

Decorating By meegz Updated 3 Nov 2008 , 5:24am by meegz

meegz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meegz Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 4

OK, this is probably going to be long, I have a zillion thoughts on this one, so, bear with me!!!

My FIL and SMIL are getting married and have asked me to do the cake... Bit scared, but it's VERY casual, so even if I really stuff it up, it won't matter too much (of course I want it to be perfect though!! thumbs_up.gif )
I showed the 'bride' some magazines and she picked out a few ideas she liked, so we have....
A two round tier, very light blue fondant cake... She liked draping and wants 'mixed' sugar flowers... She's not sure which flowers, except frangipani's (the rest is up to me)
So I sorta took the idea of the standard mixed bouquet you can buy (standard here anyway!!) and was thinking - oriental lily, gerbera daisy, roses, that sort of thing.... In yellow, orange, reddy colours, oh and a little pink...
For the draping I was thinking one drape down one side and I can sort fo cascade or scatter the flowers down it... make sense??

Here are my questions-
1. Do my flowers 'go' together??? any other ideas???
2. Colour for the draping? I was thinking a tanny/browny colour would look nice on the blue, but maybe not with the flowers?? White??? (these are both colours she will be wearing, so I though it might be nice to match a bit??)
3. Do you think all the colour will make it look a bit 'tacky'???

Ok, that's it, for now!!!

TIA!!! icon_biggrin.gif
Megan

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 12:01am
post #2 of 4

What about a matching blue drape and use some of the tanny brown in some stems and leaves--because I see the brown in there to kind of anchor and balance the profusion of colored flowers but not as prominent as the whole drape. Because I think all the different color flowers need a milder more invisible background.

That's just what I could gather from what you described--just some colorful thoughts for your lovely project.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 12:04am
post #3 of 4

And to unify the flowers with the blue I would incorporate some blue dots or stamens into the flowers--just a few.

meegz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meegz Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 5:24am
post #4 of 4

Thankyou!!! Every one of your ideas is exactly what I needed to get it all 'go' together in my head!! icon_biggrin.gif
Now to pull it off... icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%