I Am Gonna Cry.

Decorating By PumpkinMommy Updated 4 Nov 2008 , 9:23pm by Pookie59

PumpkinMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PumpkinMommy Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 11

I finish pooh bear and the round cakes for him... did what my mom said as far the dowel rods and how to keep him stable. Well my 6 year old has seemed dead set on destroying him. I baked the cakes the other day. I found the cakes dug into. I can fix it. I leveled them off. the pooh was missing a nose. ahem. my lovely son again. Then I get pooh on the cake. I piped in the grass and let it sit so it would crust a bit before doing pooh. I came back with my black frosting. did all the necessary outlining. came back...alex had dug into the green frosting. AND pooh was cracked. I fixed it. (small miracles)

I ran to get my phone... alex was digging in. Pooh and the cakes fell on the floor. I do NOT have time to remake these. I am seriously ready to strangle him.

this was important to me. I want to cry.

I just called 4 bakeries...they are completely full for tomorrow. all of them. I am gonna cry. I am crying. darn it. this is so not fair. NOW what! icon_sad.gif

10 replies
PumpkinMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PumpkinMommy Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 11

i am calling the grocery stores (icky....but what choice.) NONE of them have openings for tomorrow or demand 24 hours.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 10:46pm
post #3 of 11

If you're a member of Costco, BJ's, or Sam's Club you could probably get something there and personalize it yourself. Another option might be a cupcake cake of Pooh:

http://www.baking4you.com/images/Cakes&Cupcakes/Childrenscakes/Biggerpics/Pooh%20Cupcake%20Pullapart.jpg

The 1 y.o. won't care if it isn't 3-D.

As for the 6 y.o.--you've got a serious sibling rivalry issue there. He's old enough to know better. He deliberately sabotaged his younger sibling's birthday cake. That kind of thing needs quick, clear, serious consequences: no cake at the party or no TV or no bedtime story or no something that you know will make a real impact. He just can't be allowed to think that what he did is OK in any way, or this could get a lot worse.

All the best,
Rae
(pediatric social worker in another life)

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 11:58pm
post #4 of 11

I agree with Rae, that your son needs consequences for his behavior. In this case, all of the time that you have been spending fixing his sabotage is time you can't spend on other things, including doing things for him. It sounds like he's going to have to pick up some extra tasks to make up for taking away your time. At that age, he could sort laundry, rinse and tear lettuce for salads, or put away the baby's toys. I wouldn't play up that the baby won't have as nice a cake, since this may be rivalry, in which case he sees he has succeeded. It may just be child feeling like he isn't getting the attention he wants and negative attention is better than none to him.

You can definitely tell him how his actions made you feel (angry, sad, or whatever), and explain that you don't much feel like reading him a story, playing with him, or whatever, and suggest things he could do to improve your mood.

I am really big on natural consequences. You break a toy, you don't have anything to play with. You waste my time, I take some of your time so everything can get done.

HTH

vicmic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicmic Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 12:12am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

The 1 y.o. won't care if it isn't 3-D.

Okay, I hate to but in here but how did you know that this cake was for a 1 year old. I read and re-read the first post and it didn't say that. Sometimes I feel like I miss parts of things. Is something wrong with my log in or something.

And I am sorry about the cake, I would cry too.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 12:15am
post #6 of 11

No, you're not missing anything in the original post---I searched the OP's other posts for clarification and found that info when she asked about making black icing.

Rae

rachel-b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachel-b Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 12:36am
post #7 of 11

I am so sorry about this. I know it's frustrating after you have spent so much time making a special cake and that it was important to you.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 12:50am
post #8 of 11

Have you thought about purchasing sheet cakes from the bakery? I ran into a dilema with a bride's mini cakes...I ran out of cake so I went to my local QFC and purchase unfrosted sheet cakes.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 12:53am
post #9 of 11

Awww I'm sorry!

I agree with the consequences...also, I have young children in the house and I keep a gate up in the kitchen door so that if I have to be out of the room, I don't have to wonder if one of the kids is poking around. They make really nice spring loaded ones that are also hinged like a door.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 1:15am
post #10 of 11

Wow! A 6 y/o did all that? That's almost an adult....are you sure it was him and not megaroy fligemboster?

I'm sorry this has happened.

I'm seriously astounded that a 6 y/o would be so destructive.

How 'bout a seriously easy beehive...if you've got time with some bees...maybe the 6 y/o could help. If it's a jealousy/rivalry issue this may help him feel included in the solution plus special "me" time.

Maybe cupcakes??? If the 6 y/o refuses to help...make him one that is spinach flavored! "I asked you to help me. This is what happens when Mom has to redo something and doesn't get any help"

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 9:23pm
post #11 of 11

A six year old does know know better. I'm kind of assuming he's been able to get away with stuff like this in the past without suffering any major consequences. Hopefully you can nip that kind of behavior in the bud right now or no cake will ever be safe in your house.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%