Clay Gun

Decorating By solascakes Updated 1 Nov 2008 , 11:15am by LisaR64

solascakes Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 7

Please help.I bought this clay gun,and its absolutely useless.Im i doing anything wrong,i knead the fondant properly make sure it's warm and soft,but it just never comes out even when i have used the biggest disc. http://www.artifolk.co.uk/catalog/products/craft_tools_and_accessories/clay_gun_extruder_tool.htm

6 replies
bashini Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 7

Hi, I don't have that one, but I've got the other one. Have you tired kneading lots of shortening into it? If you are using gumpaste, dip the paste in warm water and knead well. It should give a consistancy of a chewing gum. Then put it in the clay gun. It should work.

HTH.

alidpayne Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 7

Shortning is the key. Just need a little in at a time until it will come through.

SharonK1973 Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 7

I have that exact extruder. I bought it as a starter until I can buy the bettere one. But mine works fine. I used a very soft fondant and was worried indeed if it would work since it depends on manual strength. But it did. I jusy made a tassle using the disc with tiny holes yesterday. I think you need to 1. make sure your fondant is very pliable and 2. Don't fill the tube more than 2/3rds full. Hope it works for you.

MayWest Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 10:09pm
post #5 of 7

Shortening should do it. I use a plastic (inexpensive) clay gun and it does a great job but the fondant has to be really soft.

solascakes Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 9:58am
post #6 of 7

Thanks a lot everybody, i'm using only fondant no gumpaste,i'll try again with more shortening,thank you all.

LisaR64 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 11:15am
post #7 of 7

I have the plastic extruder, and have to load it with fondant and put it in the microwave for a couple seconds, and then it works perfectly. Looks like yours is metal, so no microwave, but maybe you could lay it on a heating pad or maybe even put your fondant in a piping bag, microwave it a little and "pipe" it unto the extruder while it's still really soft and warm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%