Cigarellos?

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 10 Nov 2008 , 5:37pm by ZAKIA6

lkoenig07  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 24

I realy love the look of the Piroutte cookies or the cigarellos around a cake & want to do a fall-themed cake like that. I was wondering who has worked with them, and if they are easy to use? Thanks!

23 replies
 kakeladi  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 1:52am
post #2 of 24

Sure they are easy to work with.....if they don't break in the canicon_smile.gif
Just lightly press them into the b'cream around the cake then tie a nice ribbon around the cake.

aundrea  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 2:22am
post #3 of 24

i just made a halloween cake using the cookies. im trying to upload the picture, but its not working.
it was very easy and made an awesome presentation.
hopefully i can get the picture posted soon and you can check it out.

womanzano  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
womanzano Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 2:45am
post #4 of 24

Yup...totally easy. I used the cereal straws to achieve the same look. Nati's cigarellos are pretty easy to make and you could color the chocolate to whatever color you want.

Good luck!!!

M_Mischief  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
M_Mischief Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 12:48pm
post #5 of 24

I did a cigarello wedding cake. Like kakeladi said, use buttercream to stick them, but if you don't want ribbon around them use a strip of paper until they're set to keep them in place, I took it off when I got to the venue to save any mishaps icon_smile.gif

I've put the one I did in the gallery so you can see it
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1282864

lkoenig07 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 1:23pm
post #6 of 24

Where do you get the cigarellos from? I did a search for them & all I could find was chocolate cigars. icon_rolleyes.gif lol

M_Mischief  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
M_Mischief Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 24

hmmmmmm don't think I can help you there icon_sad.gif , they're readily available over here, but that's not much use to you over there.

Hopefully one of the guru's will come along and help you out, good luck! icon_smile.gif

Sugarchic  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarchic Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 6:02pm
post #8 of 24

Marque foods in San Francisco sells them. Check out their website and you can call and order. I also think you have to call for the prices.

lkoenig07 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 6:40pm
post #9 of 24

Thanks Sugarchic!! What a great website! Have you ever ordered from there? Just wondering if you know the general price?

Also, I know they sell chocolate cigarettes like this: http://www.nostalgiccandy.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=331
Does anyone know if this is something I could use, and just take the paper off? Thanks

Sugarchic Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 7:53pm
post #10 of 24

I am sure you could use those. I would take into consideration the prices on both and their size. Are these going to be long enough for you to cover the cakes

cylstrial  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 12:51am
post #11 of 24

I just went to the Marque website and found the chocolate cigarello's. I went ahead and emailed them about their price. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll share the price with you, once I have it.

fiddlesticks  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 1:36am
post #12 of 24

I would love to know how much the chocolate cigarello's. are. Thanks .

aundrea  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 1:50am
post #13 of 24

i just posted the picture. hopefully that will help you.
i get my cookies from the local italian store. they just had a buy one get one sale.
personally i dont care for the taste. i just purchased the vanilla flavored cookies maybe the will be better.
good luck!
darlene

dragonflydreams  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:59am
post #14 of 24

. . . ShirleyW used to recommend Marque Foods all the time, so I'm sure there prices are reasonable . . . http://www.marquefoods.com/chocdecor.htm

rezzygirl  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 4:20am
post #15 of 24

They have them here also: http://www.pastrychef.com/CHOCOLATE-CIGARETTES_p_7-701.html . Probably not the best price out there, but they I know they at least ship fast.

tonia3604  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 4:45am
post #16 of 24

If you try the piroutte cookies be sure you stick them on at the last possible minute. They absorb the moisture from the icing and soften up a little. They hold up OK, but don't taste as good when they're not crunchy.

cylstrial Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 11:25pm
post #17 of 24

Thanks for the pastrychef link Rezzy!

Ok so here is an update on the Marque chocolate cigarello's. I'm already not a fan of the company. There are no prices online or in their downloadable brochure. I emailed them and asked about the price. They did get back to me quickly but wanted to know whether it was for personal or business use and where I was located. I told them my town and personal use and he referred me to a couple other companies and told me he was in San Fran.

Hmm... hello.. I know that your in California. I don't really give a freaking crap... I want to know how much the crap costs!

So really -- I'm absolutely no help!

lkoenig07 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 12:42pm
post #18 of 24

Thanks guys for the help!! Maybe I'll email them & tell them I'm in CA. icon_razz.gif lol.

norma20  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
norma20 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:34pm
post #19 of 24

Swiss Connection, Inc.
501 First Street
Orlando, FL 32824
(800)LE SWISS or (407)857-9195
FAX: (407)857-2083

Sugarchic Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 6:25pm
post #20 of 24

Hi, I just called the Swiss connection in orlando and The Cigarellos are 200 for $51.70 for the Dk choc with white and are 5.1 inches long.She said they have another type of choc cigar 8.2 inch long and 160 for $20.25. Also on the Cigarellos they only carry the Dk choc with white or White with Dk . The other cigars are dk, white or striped.

lkoenig07 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 6:46pm
post #21 of 24

Thanks so much Sugarchic! That was nice of you to call them! I think I'll be ordering from there. Thanks again!!

Sugarchic Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:13pm
post #22 of 24

oh you're welcome. I'm at work and don't have much too do anyway.

cylstrial Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 11:25pm
post #23 of 24

I second that! Thanks for calling and getting a price for us!!

ZAKIA6  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 5:37pm
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Mischief

I did a cigarello wedding cake. Like kakeladi said, use buttercream to stick them, but if you don't want ribbon around them use a strip of paper until they're set to keep them in place, I took it off when I got to the venue to save any mishaps icon_smile.gif

I've put the one I did in the gallery so you can see it
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1282864

how tall are the cigarello's you use?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%