Cigarellos?

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 10 Nov 2008 , 5:37pm by ZAKIA6

lkoenig07 Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 24

I realy love the look of the Piroutte cookies or the cigarellos around a cake & want to do a fall-themed cake like that. I was wondering who has worked with them, and if they are easy to use? Thanks!

23 replies
kakeladi Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 1:52am
post #2 of 24

Sure they are easy to work with.....if they don't break in the canicon_smile.gif
Just lightly press them into the b'cream around the cake then tie a nice ribbon around the cake.

aundrea Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 2:22am
post #3 of 24

i just made a halloween cake using the cookies. im trying to upload the picture, but its not working.
it was very easy and made an awesome presentation.
hopefully i can get the picture posted soon and you can check it out.

womanzano Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 2:45am
post #4 of 24

Yup...totally easy. I used the cereal straws to achieve the same look. Nati's cigarellos are pretty easy to make and you could color the chocolate to whatever color you want.

Good luck!!!

M_Mischief Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 12:48pm
post #5 of 24

I did a cigarello wedding cake. Like kakeladi said, use buttercream to stick them, but if you don't want ribbon around them use a strip of paper until they're set to keep them in place, I took it off when I got to the venue to save any mishaps icon_smile.gif

I've put the one I did in the gallery so you can see it
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1282864

lkoenig07 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 1:23pm
post #6 of 24

Where do you get the cigarellos from? I did a search for them & all I could find was chocolate cigars. icon_rolleyes.gif lol

M_Mischief Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 24

hmmmmmm don't think I can help you there icon_sad.gif , they're readily available over here, but that's not much use to you over there.

Hopefully one of the guru's will come along and help you out, good luck! icon_smile.gif

Sugarchic Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 6:02pm
post #8 of 24

Marque foods in San Francisco sells them. Check out their website and you can call and order. I also think you have to call for the prices.

lkoenig07 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 6:40pm
post #9 of 24

Thanks Sugarchic!! What a great website! Have you ever ordered from there? Just wondering if you know the general price?

Also, I know they sell chocolate cigarettes like this: http://www.nostalgiccandy.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=331
Does anyone know if this is something I could use, and just take the paper off? Thanks

Sugarchic Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 7:53pm
post #10 of 24

I am sure you could use those. I would take into consideration the prices on both and their size. Are these going to be long enough for you to cover the cakes

cylstrial Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 12:51am
post #11 of 24

I just went to the Marque website and found the chocolate cigarello's. I went ahead and emailed them about their price. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll share the price with you, once I have it.

fiddlesticks Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 1:36am
post #12 of 24

I would love to know how much the chocolate cigarello's. are. Thanks .

aundrea Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 1:50am
post #13 of 24

i just posted the picture. hopefully that will help you.
i get my cookies from the local italian store. they just had a buy one get one sale.
personally i dont care for the taste. i just purchased the vanilla flavored cookies maybe the will be better.
good luck!
darlene

dragonflydreams Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:59am
post #14 of 24

. . . ShirleyW used to recommend Marque Foods all the time, so I'm sure there prices are reasonable . . . http://www.marquefoods.com/chocdecor.htm

rezzygirl Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 4:20am
post #15 of 24

They have them here also: http://www.pastrychef.com/CHOCOLATE-CIGARETTES_p_7-701.html . Probably not the best price out there, but they I know they at least ship fast.

tonia3604 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 4:45am
post #16 of 24

If you try the piroutte cookies be sure you stick them on at the last possible minute. They absorb the moisture from the icing and soften up a little. They hold up OK, but don't taste as good when they're not crunchy.

cylstrial Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 11:25pm
post #17 of 24

Thanks for the pastrychef link Rezzy!

Ok so here is an update on the Marque chocolate cigarello's. I'm already not a fan of the company. There are no prices online or in their downloadable brochure. I emailed them and asked about the price. They did get back to me quickly but wanted to know whether it was for personal or business use and where I was located. I told them my town and personal use and he referred me to a couple other companies and told me he was in San Fran.

Hmm... hello.. I know that your in California. I don't really give a freaking crap... I want to know how much the crap costs!

So really -- I'm absolutely no help!

lkoenig07 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 12:42pm
post #18 of 24

Thanks guys for the help!! Maybe I'll email them & tell them I'm in CA. icon_razz.gif lol.

norma20 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:34pm
post #19 of 24

Swiss Connection, Inc.
501 First Street
Orlando, FL 32824
(800)LE SWISS or (407)857-9195
FAX: (407)857-2083

Sugarchic Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 6:25pm
post #20 of 24

Hi, I just called the Swiss connection in orlando and The Cigarellos are 200 for $51.70 for the Dk choc with white and are 5.1 inches long.She said they have another type of choc cigar 8.2 inch long and 160 for $20.25. Also on the Cigarellos they only carry the Dk choc with white or White with Dk . The other cigars are dk, white or striped.

lkoenig07 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 6:46pm
post #21 of 24

Thanks so much Sugarchic! That was nice of you to call them! I think I'll be ordering from there. Thanks again!!

Sugarchic Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:13pm
post #22 of 24

oh you're welcome. I'm at work and don't have much too do anyway.

cylstrial Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 11:25pm
post #23 of 24

I second that! Thanks for calling and getting a price for us!!

ZAKIA6 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 5:37pm
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Mischief

I did a cigarello wedding cake. Like kakeladi said, use buttercream to stick them, but if you don't want ribbon around them use a strip of paper until they're set to keep them in place, I took it off when I got to the venue to save any mishaps icon_smile.gif

I've put the one I did in the gallery so you can see it
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1282864

how tall are the cigarello's you use?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%