Help My Middle Tier Is Leaning!!

Decorating By SDL79 Updated 1 Nov 2008 , 3:03am by SDL79

SDL79 Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 14

Help me please! I have a wedding cake Halloween themed today and it seems that my middle tier is leaning slightly. I was needing some advice if there is anything I can do to avert disaster when I stack my tiers at the wedding today??!! I'm afraid when I put my top layer on it will tip the cake over if the middle one is leaning at all. Any advice!?

13 replies
SDL79 Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 14

help anyone?! i'm desperate for some input, opinions, good luck!

newmansmom2004 Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 14

How are you stacking the cakes? Are they one directly on top of the other or is there a separation between tiers?

SDL79 Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 6:32pm
post #4 of 14

The are directly on top of each other with dowels in the bottom and middle layers to support the cakes above.

thallo Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 14

Make sure that you have good support dowels in all of the tiers under the top one. You might want to put extra ones in that middle oone. You can add extra icing in a thicker consistancy to cover space and level it out as long as the dowels are in there to support it. Then I would certainly put a dowel through the middle to insure that it doesn't go anywhere.

Take your time and don't panic.

Good luck and be sure to post photos.

indydebi Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 14

Without knowing details of how you have it constructed, it sounds like one of your dowels under the middle tier is shorter than the rest of them, causing the cake to lean. If this is the case, you need to pull that dowel out and cut a new one that is the same size as the other dowels.

SDL79 Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 14

I haven't stacked the layers yet. I think it's hte filling in the layers of the middle cake. I had two cake boards underneath it so I kind of shimmed it on the side that was leaning to help level things out.
Can anyone give me advice on how to get a dowel through the bottom two layers. I knwo I need to do it, but have not done that yet!

marccrand Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 6:35pm
post #8 of 14

Did you cut your dowels the lenghth as tall as your highest point of the cake? Are all your dowels cut the same length? Do you have enough dowels?

I had a cake two weeks ago that seemed to be leaning. In desperation we took the tiers apart and realized there were only 4 dowels in a 12" round. Added about 6 more and reassembled and it was so much better! It was really hard to make the decision to take it apart (because it was done) but well worth it in the end!

Hope that helps.

Ironbaker Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 14

It sounds like she doesn't have them stacked yet. Do you mean the layers of the middle tier are slanted?

SDL79 Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 6:37pm
post #10 of 14

I have 4 in the 8" layer and 4 in the 10" layer... should probably add another in the bottom one. All are cut the same length.

SDL79 Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 6:39pm
post #11 of 14

correct i have not stacked them yet... the layers of the middle cake are slightly slanted.

indydebi Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 6:41pm
post #12 of 14
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

It sounds like she doesn't have them stacked yet. Do you mean the layers of the middle tier are slanted?

Ok...if the cakes aren't stacked yet, then it sounds like the cakes weren't leveled properly and they are slanted while they are sitting on the counter ... is that right?

If so, you have 2 options...
(1) scrape the icing off, re-level the cakes until they are perfectly flat, and re-ice them.

(2) when you cut your dowels, make them ALL the same height ... regardless of how slanted your cake is, you can fill the space under the higher dowels with a border, and your next cake up will be sitting on perfectly flat.

I'd do #1, if it was me.

SDL79 Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 6:45pm
post #13 of 14

Unfortunately I don't have time to reice and redecorate. I'm leaving in about 20 minutes to set up. I did make sure that my dowels are the same size. THe advantage I have with this cake is that they are coffee cups... so I just have to make the icing on the tops of the cakes and between the layers look like coffee swirled with creamer. So it doesn't have to be smooth. Pray for me! Cross your fingers! My stomach is turning so much because I want this cake to not completely bomb on me!! I think the layers were level, but then it seemed like the filling (a whipped cream coffee flavored filling) smooshed out of the side a tiny bit on the one side. Maybe that's because the layers weren't quite level. I looked at them and looked at them when I made them and then again when I assembled them.

SDL79 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:03am
post #14 of 14

So here is the final result. I'm hoping everything held together. Very nervous, but felt much better after setting up and leaving the reception area.

Quote by @%username% on %date%