Black Icing Help

Decorating By PumpkinMommy Updated 31 Oct 2008 , 8:27pm by lkoenig07

PumpkinMommy Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 15

let me start by saying, I used black ONCE before on a thomas 3d cake. I was NOT happy with the shade of black. I am using it once again for pooh bear cake for my sons 1st birthday. Its a charcoal color. Or dark grey.

Its the wilton black...what advice can anyone give me? I am soooo stressed.

14 replies
PumpkinMommy Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 15

please help.......

KrissieCakes Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 15

I've heard that you should start with chocolate icing to get a true black. Haven't tried it though!

sarahbasile Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 15

Yeah, it definitely does help if you start with chocolate icon_smile.gif gOOD LUCK!

jouj Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 15

I assume that what you're saying is that the black wasn't "very black", right? Before adding the Black Icing Color, just use a mixture of Navy blue, or any dark blue, with some yellow and some red. You will have a purpulish or maybe brownish mixture, now you can add the Black icing color. You won't need a lot of black for that.

Hope this helps.

nanikins Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 15

I'm sure there are many who are much more experienced and can give you much better advice than I, but thought I'd jump in and let you know I'm thinking 'boutcha.

I have made black icing with the Wilton black several times and I find I always have to walk away and come back to it again. It never looks black enough when I'm mixing, but later it looks quite black. Also it will darken as it crusts, so you might try putting a little dab out on a piece of wax paper or something and letting it sit for a few minutes and look at it again.

Also, save all of your leftover icing, regardless of color and mix it all together. You get this awful-looking hodgepodge that makes a great basis for tinting black. You can put it in the freezer and pull it out next time you need black.

HTH. Good luck.

dragonflydreams Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 5:34pm
post #7 of 15

. . . if you are talking about buttercream, and you have to start from scratch . . . chocolate is definitely the easiest way to go . . . on the other hand some people save all of their "left overs" and mix them together (the resulting mucky greeny mess is then easy to tint black without having to add mega amounts of color) point being, the darker your icing is to start out with the easier (less color) you are going to have to add to get a "true black" . . . if you are talking about fondant, most would recommend purchasing black fondant to start out with . . . HTH

mariela_ms Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 5:42pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanikins

I'm sure there are many who are much more experienced and can give you much better advice than I, but thought I'd jump in and let you know I'm thinking 'boutcha.

I have made black icing with the Wilton black several times and I find I always have to walk away and come back to it again. It never looks black enough when I'm mixing, but later it looks quite black. Also it will darken as it crusts, so you might try putting a little dab out on a piece of wax paper or something and letting it sit for a few minutes and look at it again.

Also, save all of your leftover icing, regardless of color and mix it all together. You get this awful-looking hodgepodge that makes a great basis for tinting black. You can put it in the freezer and pull it out next time you need black.

HTH. Good luck.

thumbs_up.gif Totally agree! I used to get really frustrated when I couldn't get my black...well black! So I tried this and it worked. I make my icing, let it sit and though it might not look completely black while piping or using it....after it crusts it's totally black! I just used it this past weekend for 2 cakes and some cupcakes if you want to look!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1279212

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1282445

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1282447

jouj Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 5:51pm
post #9 of 15

This is a thread from a few days ago, discussing Black Icing. You might find something helpful there.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-608273.html

ShellBell69 Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 5:51pm
post #10 of 15

I used a dark purple color first then used Wilton no-taste black to get the black on the cat on my pumpkin cake in my pictures (wow that's a long odd sentence). It worked great and didn't have to use a ton of the coloring.

mariela_ms Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 5:54pm
post #11 of 15

ShellBell69- That Is an odd sentence!!!!! lol

kellymarie Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 5:54pm
post #12 of 15

if you don't need alot, why not but the pre made tube?? thats what i usually do if it is just for some outlining or a nose or something....

chocolate fondant tints black pretty easily too!

hth!

icon_smile.gif

PumpkinMommy Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 6:01pm
post #13 of 15

thankyou ladies.

Carolynlovescake Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 8:25pm
post #14 of 15

I color my buttercream to dark brown then add black.

Remember that it takes black 24 hours to reach it's true color so make it a day before you need it in case you need to add more.

lkoenig07 Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 8:27pm
post #15 of 15

Definitely start with chocolate frosting. It's soo much easier to achieve a true black color (and it's not as bitter-tasting)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%