Ooops! Did I Mix It Tooo Much?

Decorating By lepaz Updated 2 Nov 2008 , 7:10pm by lepaz

lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 6

Made Buttercream Dream last night, it's my favorite. Did it the same way I always do, except I used Almond extract instead of vanilla. The other thing I did differently was let the mixer continue mixing (I was making cupcakes) between bag refills, I geniously thought "If it continues mixing and doesn't stop it will stay moist and ready to use as I make the cupcakes!". Yah, right! After finishing the cupcakes I started to clean up and in the process, I put some frosting on my finger and tried it. Euuuuhhh! It had a rough texture!!!! It wasn't smooth!
Did that happen because I let it mix between refilling my frosting bag??? I didn't think it happened because of the Almond extract..
I was going to take them to work, but after that they are not leaving this house!!

5 replies
abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 6

I've only ever used Buttercream Dream - vanilla, not the almond, so I can't give too much info about that, but I usually mix the living tar out of the frosting until I'm ready to use it, then I just let it set. I'm not sure what would make it become rough . . . . I kind of got that once when I had a bad batch of powdered sugar and there were lots of sugar clumps in the frosting. . . . was the roughness actual clumps of sugar?

lepaz Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks abslu, I will have to check to see if they are clumps of sugar. Maybe I did get a bad batch of sugar, I didn't think of that....

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 10:54am
post #4 of 6

you said you were mixing between filling bags, did it get a chance to crust at all between mixings? You could have mixed in crusted bits into uncrusted bits maybe?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:28pm
post #5 of 6

I also run the heck out of the mixer when making icing. Longer it runs, the smoother it gets.

lepaz Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks guys. I do think I got a bad batch of powdered sugar. I don't think I let it crust between filling bags, as soon as I filled the bag I set it to mix again and I don't think it would crust that quickly or would it?? Thank you for everyones advice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%