Display Icings

Decorating By Debala Updated 31 Oct 2008 , 2:12pm by leah_s

Debala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debala Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 12:18pm
post #1 of 8

Can anyone tell me what they use for Icing when displaying styrofoam cakes, someone said royal icing, I think that would be hard to use?
any Ideas.

7 replies
sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 12:26pm
post #2 of 8

I would just use the basic Wilton icing recipe, but leave out the flavorings (no one's going to eat it anyway).

1 cup shortening
4 cups powdered sugar
3 TB meringue powder (to stabelize)
water to reach desired consistency

I've heard that when this icing is used on styrofoam it tends to get rock hard. I'm sure someone can verify. icon_smile.gif

Debala Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 12:34pm
post #3 of 8

[quote="sambugjoebear"]I would just use the basic Wilton icing recipe, but leave out the flavorings (no one's going to eat it anyway).

1 cup shortening
4 cups powdered sugar
3 TB meringue powder (to stabelize)
water to reach desired consistency

I've heard that when this icing is used on styrofoam it tends to get rock hard. I'm sure someone can verify. icon_smile.gif

Thanks I might try that icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 12:36pm
post #4 of 8

I use my basic icing but omit the dream whip and the vanilla. When applied to styrofoam, it turns hard as concrete so it lasts for years. People love it when they come in the shop and I tell them, "Yes, you CAN touch those cakes!"

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 12:45pm
post #5 of 8

to add a question-- How do you stabilize (or weigh down) the dummy to get it smooth? Because they are so light, I find it hard to get a nice frosting job. it keeps running away from my spatula.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 12:49pm
post #6 of 8

Tape it down onto your turntable. double sided tape holds great!

Debala Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 1:03pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmakescakes

to add a question-- How do you stabilize (or weigh down) the dummy to get it smooth? Because they are so light, I find it hard to get a nice frosting job. it keeps running away from my spatula.

I use a flat head nail under my styrofoam and broad then put a little icing on my turn table to keep it from moving it seems to help.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 2:12pm
post #8 of 8

I use PermaIce. It' sand-able. icon_smile.gif Yep, my palm sander makes a dusty mess, but the cake looks great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%