I Smushed The Icing!!!

Decorating By myheartsdesire Updated 31 Oct 2008 , 3:41pm by TexasSugar

myheartsdesire Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 1:38am
post #1 of 6

I made my first tiered cake this weekend. All was going well until I was placing the 2nd cake on the bottom. How do you do it with out smushing that cake?? I realized inches from the bottom cake that it wasnt going to work like the pictures in the book. icon_confused.gif

5 replies
SeriousCakes Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 2:04am
post #2 of 6

Try this next time:

thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 2:08am
post #3 of 6

Hey, girl! Good to see you back on here!

When placing the middle tier on the bottom tier, I use my icing spatula to gently lower the middle tier down. I leave the spatula under the cake while I eye-ball it to make sure it's all in place, then pull the spatula out from under the cake. Tip: Pull the spatula out from what will be the backside of the cake, just in case you pull some extra icing out or something (guess how I figured THAT out? icon_redface.gif ).

I add any borders or ribbons to the middle tier after I set it in place.

hope that helps!! thumbs_up.gif

myheartsdesire Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 2:16am
post #4 of 6

I just never really thought about it until I was literally inches from the cake..OOps icon_rolleyes.gif

leah_s Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 2:52am
post #5 of 6

Or try SPS. easy.

TexasSugar Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 3:41pm
post #6 of 6

You can also leave your dowels sticking up about an inch, and letting gravity do the work for you. I wouldn't let go and walk around, but you can move your fingers out from under the cake before you get to the icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%