Help!!! Is One Board Enough???

Decorating By Launa Updated 31 Oct 2008 , 4:32pm by tlreetz

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 12:46am
post #1 of 8

I'm making a 5-tier wedding cake and it seems like the cake boards I'm using under the larger tiers aren't sturdy enough. The cake is 6,8,10,12,14 square. I won't stack the cake until I deliver it on Saturday, but should I cut another square and use 2 cake boards under each tier instead of just 1??? I've never made a cake this large before!!!

Thanks!

Launa

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 1:06am
post #2 of 8

With proper support/doweling there should not be a problem.
Using dbl boards makes for needing a much lasrger border than most people want t(to hide it).

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 2:08am
post #3 of 8

Well, I'd personally be very uncomfortable using a single cardboard cake board under a 12" or 10" tier (since the 14" will sit on a decorative, larger board, that will add extra support for that tier)--but my cakes tend to be very heavy.

I use 3/16th inch foamcore as my cake boards and I find that a single layer of that is fine for larger tiers, but they're much stronger than the carboards.

I'd suggest adding a second board to each tier (so that they're all the same height), running the direction of the corrugation 90 degrees from the original board--that helps to prevent flexing.

Better safe than sorry.

HTH
Rae

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 4:18am
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the help! This cake has a large border anyway, so I'm not too concerned about the extra height that another board would give. I think I'll play it safe and double up on the boards. I'd hate for the cake to cave in on itself just before the reception!!!

Launa

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 8

I never use more than one cardboard under tiers no matter how many tiers I'm using.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 8

Your largest elevated cake is the 12". The 14" will be on a cake base. You will not need to double up your boards. Just use a good support system. Thanks to Leah's I use the SPS system, build it into my price so the bride doesn't need to return it and I love the system.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 3:18pm
post #7 of 8

I always use foamcore for each cake board and it works just fine with a single board.

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 4:32pm
post #8 of 8

I have started using Tuff Boards and I love them!! They are currogated plastic, much heavier than cardboard and they do not absorb any moisture like cardboard or foam core.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%