Help!!! Is One Board Enough???

Decorating By Launa Updated 31 Oct 2008 , 4:32pm by tlreetz

Launa Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 12:46am
post #1 of 8

I'm making a 5-tier wedding cake and it seems like the cake boards I'm using under the larger tiers aren't sturdy enough. The cake is 6,8,10,12,14 square. I won't stack the cake until I deliver it on Saturday, but should I cut another square and use 2 cake boards under each tier instead of just 1??? I've never made a cake this large before!!!

7 replies
kakeladi Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 1:06am
post #2 of 8

With proper support/doweling there should not be a problem.
Using dbl boards makes for needing a much lasrger border than most people want t(to hide it).

BlakesCakes Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 2:08am
post #3 of 8

Well, I'd personally be very uncomfortable using a single cardboard cake board under a 12" or 10" tier (since the 14" will sit on a decorative, larger board, that will add extra support for that tier)--but my cakes tend to be very heavy.

I use 3/16th inch foamcore as my cake boards and I find that a single layer of that is fine for larger tiers, but they're much stronger than the carboards.

I'd suggest adding a second board to each tier (so that they're all the same height), running the direction of the corrugation 90 degrees from the original board--that helps to prevent flexing.

Better safe than sorry.

Launa Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 4:18am
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the help! This cake has a large border anyway, so I'm not too concerned about the extra height that another board would give. I think I'll play it safe and double up on the boards. I'd hate for the cake to cave in on itself just before the reception!!!

jammjenks Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 8

I never use more than one cardboard under tiers no matter how many tiers I'm using.

ladyonzlake Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 8

Your largest elevated cake is the 12". The 14" will be on a cake base. You will not need to double up your boards. Just use a good support system. Thanks to Leah's I use the SPS system, build it into my price so the bride doesn't need to return it and I love the system.

MissRobin Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 3:18pm
post #7 of 8

I always use foamcore for each cake board and it works just fine with a single board.

tlreetz Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 4:32pm
post #8 of 8

I have started using Tuff Boards and I love them!! They are currogated plastic, much heavier than cardboard and they do not absorb any moisture like cardboard or foam core.

Quote by @%username% on %date%