Pricing For Carved Corvette Cake, Need Help!

Business By laurynrn Updated 31 Oct 2008 , 6:15pm by msulli10

laurynrn Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 7

A doctor where I work asked me to make her a carved corvette cake for her husband. It only needs to feed a family so I was thinking of carving it from stacked 9 x 11's. My problem is pricing. I always under charge when making cakes for my friends and need to stop doing that. So, I need help in pricing, anyone have any ideas..please help icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
jescapades Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 7

i'm sory i can't help with pricing, because i always undercharge, but i'd love to see your corvette when you are done. good luck!

trumpetmidget Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 12:10am
post #3 of 7

I made a car for my dad last year. It is in my photos. I made it out of one 9x13, cut a few inches off, put that on top in the center to make the roof and then carved it to look like a t-bird. If I were to charge for that cake, I would start at my base price of $3 per serving, plus $1 per serving for fondant and then $2 per serving to carve it. So, that is $6 per serving. 9x13 is about 24 servings (I charge per serving on the cake I bake, not neccessarily how many it will feed) - so, $144 would be my price. HTH.

DerrellC Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 4:05am
post #4 of 7

Hi Laurynrn, remember a cake like this is LABOR intensive.Hard to figure a price per serving.I try to estimate how long it will take me and DOUBLE it.Off the cuff I would price it at about $150.00. Good luck,and post a picture.

Sweet_Guys Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 11:34am
post #5 of 7

Laurynn----

From what we've read from posts on here already, you should charge per slice for the actual cake you "could" serve. The cake that is being served plus the cake that is being "wasted" is all part of your per serving slice total.

HTH

Paul & Peter

laurynrn Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 5:56pm
post #6 of 7

thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!! Great advice from everyone!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

msulli10 Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 6:15pm
post #7 of 7

I'm no help either. I made a Corvette cake and a Camaro cake (see my photos) and only charged $50 each for them - way too little for all the work, but they were for people I knew.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%