Strawberry Short Cake Filling

Decorating By Michie21 Updated 31 Oct 2008 , 2:22pm by leah_s

Michie21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michie21 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone! I've been asked by a friend to do a cake for her daughters sweet 16 party. The cake will be pretty big.. most likely 4 tiers. She's asked me to make it pound cake with whipped cream and strawberry filling.. just like a strawberry short cake. I'm worried the whipped cream won't hold up under the weigh of the cake. I know about doweling the cake and all that but does anyone have any suggestions about the filling? Each layer will be covered in fondant and i'm not worried about keeping it refrigerated.
I've read about stabilized whipped cream but have never used it. Anyone think it will hold up?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions anyone can offer!!

Michelle

2 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 3

get some regular bc and add a ton of powdered sugar to it (I have to mix it with a gloved hand) until it's really stiff and use that as a dam around the edge of your cakes.
Rich's Bettercreme is a "stabilized" type of whipped cream only it's non dairy but it tastes exactlly like whipped cream it's delicious!
My son wanted a carved gumball machine cake for his birthday and he wanted it to be "strawberry shortcake" so I just made a yellow cake, put a thin layer of bc between layers just to help them all stick together and brought the Rich's bettercreme in a piping bag and a bowl of macerated strawberries and as we cut the slices we spooned on some strawberries with the yummy juices and squirted on a nice swirl of the bettercreme. Would that work for you too???

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 2:22pm
post #3 of 3

Michie, I'm curious how the fondant negates the need for refrigerating the whipped cream. Unless as the PP says, you're using Rich's instead of whipping cream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%