Making 1St Bow

Decorating By DnEKakez Updated 1 Nov 2008 , 11:22am by Haydensmom219

DnEKakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DnEKakez Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 6

Need a Gumpaste recipe I have a little can of gumtex.. I have searched for recipes but have not found one that uses gumtex can someone help

Thanks

5 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 6

Do you have store bought gumpaste and fondant? If so mix 50/50 from both. icon_smile.gif

DnEKakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DnEKakez Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 6

No I just have the powdered Gumtex

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 6

Is it same as CMC and tylose? If it is you can add a 1/2 teaspoon to 250g f fondant.

bakeyclacker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeyclacker Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 6:33am
post #5 of 6

The recipe won't usually call for Gumtex unless it's a Wilton recipe, but you of course can use gumtex on all types of fondant/gumpaste. It serves to harden or firm up the medium that you're using so that you can mold it better, or make it dry faster. You can add, like bashini said, 1/2 tsp. or so to 1/2 lb. of fondant, and it'll work wonderfully. One word of caution: you can't immediately feel the difference in your fondant, but will notice how quickly it dries. Don't add more gumtex believing that you didn't get enough. Just give it a little time to set up (wrapped in celophane, or refridgerating, well sealed off from air). Too much will ruin whatever recipe you add it to. I've added as much as 1 TBS to a pound and a half of fondant, and used it to form stiff decorations. Hope this helps!

Haydensmom219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Haydensmom219 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 11:22am
post #6 of 6

do you add the gumtex as a powder or make it into a liquid first. i am trying to add it to Rice crispy treats to harden it. i made a Mickey Mouse head and when i put dowels into it the head started to come apart. i was thinking i needed to make it with more marshmellow, less cereal, but then read about the gumtex...please help i have to finish this cake today!!
thanks to anyone who can reply

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%