Rolling Mmf

Decorating By butterfly831915 Updated 31 Oct 2008 , 4:43pm by theathea

butterfly831915 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 3

icon_surprised.gif Okay this may sound crazy or just be a silly question but I have to ask it. icon_redface.gif I am making my sisters baby shower cake and I have never made mmf until now. I am really curious on what kind of roller most people recommend for this. I have used a wooden roller on the wilton premade (nasty) fondant before and it seemed fine. Do i sprinkle the area I'll be rolling it out with PS, do I need to use Crisco anymore? Help icon_cry.gif I can not mess this up. I want this to be as perfect as I possibly can. Please and thank you.... You guys are great!!

2 replies
wildflower Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 3

hi there!
i dont have much experience with mmf either but i did just recently cover a cake with it and my regular wooden rolling pin worked fine but i did have my wilton one on hand just in case
also,i found that if your mmf is more on the soft/sticky side,that u should use the ps to dust the area and if the mmf seems to dry then grease the area with crisco
i dont know if that was much help but thats what i did[i alternated with the crisco and ps cuz i had 2 different batches,one too sticky and one on the dry side]
again i dont even know if what i did is right but it did work for me
hth!

theathea Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 3

I also use a regular wooden rolling pin. I roll it out on crisco because it does get really sticky if you don't. You may need to roll it a little thicker than store-bought fondant. It will kind of stretch when you move it onto the cake. I like mine thicker anyway because it hides any flaws in my cake (and Lord knows, I have flaws!)
Best of luck!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%