I Could Just Scream!!!!

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 3:06pm by lovelytee

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 49

I just baked a WASC that I turned into a chocolate chip cake by adding chocolate chips and removing the Almond extract. I was thrilled with how it turned out. Had it cooling on the racks on top of my stove.

Took my shower, ran to the bus stop to get my 5 year old, then came back and went to the kitchen to make lunch and the whole edge of one of my cakes from one side all the way around to the opposite side has been picked off the cake by my 3 year old!!!!!!!!!!

My goal was bake this morning, then we have an awards ceremony for my 5 year old at 1:30, I work at 2:30, home by 6pm, eat, ice cakes. Tomorrow morning decorate then work... Halloween... leave for party at 10:15am Saturday morning.

Now I'm stressed! I could strangle the little booger!

Edited by moderator.... (no pictures in this particular forum.)

48 replies
Babycakes35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babycakes35 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 49

I am so sorry this happened to you. I know that this can definately create a ton of stress! Take a deep breath or two. You'll make another cake and get it all done in time. Your cake thief is such a cutie!!!

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 49

Awwwwww, what a cutie!

calicakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicakequeen Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 49

I feel for you!!! this has happened to me more then once!!! I have 4 little boogers that try and get to my cakes!!! good luck!!

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 49

Oh no!!! I guess you could call him quality control!

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 49

Ohhhhh! You certainly can't correct anything that cute!! At least you have a funny story to look back and laugh at...one day. icon_lol.gif

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:16pm
post #7 of 49

Don't ya just love toddlers! icon_rolleyes.gif Mine has almost ruined a cake, or 5, since I started doing this a year ago. He ate about half the bananas I made for a banana mound cake, he tried to decapitate the cute little grizzly bear I made in my workshop with Aine2, I found him covered in icing that he had squeezed out of the piping bag (guess he was trying to decorate himself?), and he's stuck his little fingers in more cakes than I care to count. He's so darn cute though, all covered in icing and crumbs...makes it so much harder to stay mad. icon_cry.gif

Sorry your DS ate your cake! He's a cutie though, so I'm sure he got away with it! icon_wink.gif

fittro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fittro Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:18pm
post #8 of 49

I have the same culprute at my house. I had crumb coated a four tier wedding cake put it on the dining room table left to go to the store came back and had three year old finger marks all over not one but all four. Been there. Now when I am doing a big cake he gets a small one to help with.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:31pm
post #9 of 49

Lol, I am so sorry to be laughing, but my 2 yr old did the SAME thing on Tuesday! I didnt even get to the real designs I wanted for the cupcakes, because I had to rebake 2 layers that he destroyed while I was in the shower, and hubby was supposed to be watching him to make sure he didnt go near the kitchen!

etr2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
etr2002 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:43pm
post #10 of 49

I understand completely! I made a cinderella castle cake and when my back was turned, my 4 year old decided that Batman was going to enter the castle. I about died and then he was banned to the back yard to ride his tractor. I couldn't believe he almost destroyed a cake that I had worked on for 3 days! icon_eek.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:50pm
post #11 of 49

He's just too cute! Nickname him "QC" and take a deep breath. It will all be fine. They are only this size for a very brief time... as the song goes, "Turn around and he's two, turn around and he's four, turn around --he's a young man walking out of the door."

kbw5780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbw5780 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:23pm
post #12 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by fittro

I have the same culprute at my house. I had crumb coated a four tier wedding cake put it on the dining room table left to go to the store came back and had three year old finger marks all over not one but all four. Been there. Now when I am doing a big cake he gets a small one to help with.

That is a great idea....my 4 year old wants to be all up in the cake decorating with me, so if I made him a little cake of his own, he would have a field day with.....thanks for the idea!!!

As for the loss of the cake, sorry to hear, but he sure is a cutie. Like me, I am sure you can't be mad for long. My 4 year old will sneak a pick all of the time.....and, he and my 2 year old always say, "I wanna w-ittle w-ick...." when I am makin the icing....LOL...Love 'em so much!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:58pm
post #13 of 49

Oh he's way too cute!!!

You could have lttle g'mas lined up around the block willing to bake cakes for him.

Same age, mine was 'icing' the table in the bedroom once--agh!!! Then I thought about it and he was just doing what Mom was doing--so I did not scold him.

Guess what--he's a pastry chef now.

Yours'll grow up and be a food critic. icon_biggrin.gif

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 6:02pm
post #14 of 49

My kids have never touched a cake I've made. We just gave our 5 year old an easy bake oven and the icing pen for her birthday. Both of them love to help me, now they can make their own cakes in their own oven then decorate them with the pen! The pen is pretty neat, and I don't have to worry about tying the ends of bags! icon_smile.gif

You'll get it done, try to relax and not stress! icon_smile.gif

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 6:04pm
post #15 of 49

I had the same problem last week- my 1 yr old son decided to climb up on the kitchen TABLE and proceeded to poke holes into a cake, assuming "because it was fun." Who can really tell with a 1 yr old? lol

And my 3 yr old daughter is a riot. One time I squeezed a little icing onto her finger so she could lick it off. Now, everytime I make a cake, she comes into the kitchen and asks me to put some on her finger (this will happen about 5-6 times during the icing of the cake). Somehow I manage to tell her "No more!" but not before she gives me those big doe eyes. Kids! I love 'em!

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 6:10pm
post #16 of 49

My son did this to a Wedding cake--5 hours before the wedding.

He is truly lucky to be alive. icon_wink.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 6:10pm
post #17 of 49

I made a deal with my kids after one of them picked the edge off of a cooling cake for one of my very first customers! The deal is.......if they don't come anywhere NEAR the kitchen while I am baking, decorating, or obsessing about a cake for a customer then they get ALL the scraps once the cake is delivered.....all the gobs of buttercream left in icing bags (unless there's enough to save for another cake), all the little scraps of cake (I put the major scraps in the freezer for cake balls before they notice lol) and all the little scraps of fondant! Now they don't bother me at all......and actually they rarely even ask if there's any scraps left over anymore (it's been about 1 1/2 yrs.)........I think the fact that I'm getting between 3-5 cake orders a week has got us all immune to the smell of a cake baking or hot cakes cooling on the counter!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 6:11pm
post #18 of 49

Remember the words of George Carlin.................
"You know why babies are cute? So you don't kill them!"

Wildrose6633 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildrose6633 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 6:19pm
post #19 of 49

Awwww sooooo cute. He only was trying to help mommy with a taste test.

I know how frustrating it can be mine are 29 and 32 and ask for all the recipes they used to help with. They grow up way too fast. Enjoy him while he's small, soon enough you will be worried about where he and his friends are.

Barb

nanikins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanikins Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 6:24pm
post #20 of 49

How can you be mad at that cute little face? Yeah, I know...sometimes it's easy. (Sometimes you have to turn your back so they can't see you laughing!)

My twin 2 yr olds are napping right now and I'm trying not wake them laughing at all of these stories!! So much I can relate to - and so much to look forward to as well!

My daughter loves the little dot of icing on the finger, too - until you say no more, then back away slowly and put in the ear plugs as fast as you can! She's also a big mimic, so I'm sure she'll be trying to frost something any day now.

Just last Friday I made a cake for my grandmother's 86th birthday. I finished it up while DH was getting the kids bathed, then went to help him out. We got pj's on, teeth brushed, prayers said, covers turned down, and were tucking in when my son jumped out of his bed, ran into the dining room and stuck his finger in the cake, then ran and jumped back into bed. Just had to leave his mark, I guess.

klhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klhayes Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 6:40pm
post #21 of 49

Have a good laugh and bake another cake.

When I was a little girl my mother made her first apple pie. She was so proud of herself and that pie. When she went to take the pie out of the oven somehow it slipped from her over mitt and landed upside down inside the oven door. My mother burst into tears and ran next door to my grandmother's house. When my mother and grandmother returned to our home to have a look at the disaster they found my older brother and I sitting on the floor eating the pie right off the oven door. My grandmother burst out in laugher and grabbed a spoon and joined us. Needless to say my mother stopped crying and started laughing as well.

P.S. The pie was delicious.

Laughter is the BEST medicine!

P.S. The pie was delicious.

Pastelitoz4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastelitoz4u Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 6:52pm
post #22 of 49

I can't quite relate yet, but I'm not far from it....I have a 20 month boy and he's getting closer to his terrible 2's.....Oh boy, I better watch out.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 6:52pm
post #23 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

Remember the words of George Carlin.................
"You know why babies are cute? So you don't kill them!"

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Well that explains it all! Their defense mechanism is cuteness!

CakeInfatuation Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 12:38am
post #24 of 49

Thanks guys. So far it is going okay. I'll let you know how it turns out.

And I didn't know George Carlin said that but I say it all the time.

"Thank God he made my kids cute or they'd have never lived this long!"

And I do have to turn and hide my laughter sometimes when I should be scolding them. My husband gets on my case about it all the time. Sometimes though... it's just too cute and funny to be angry even when we should be straight faced and stern!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 1:04am
post #25 of 49

Now, Now, Now, he's just trying to be a "helper" by trimming up the cake for you mom! LOL I can say that now...my "babies" are 29 yrs old! LOL See? I'm a Gran B and what "I" know is....as FRUSTRATING as this is when this little guy is 29 it's gonna be a GREAT memory for you!

Beth
Gran B in KY

CakeInfatuation Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 3:14am
post #26 of 49

Okay... so I decided to burn the midnight oil and just be done with it. The cake is finished and it ended up working out perfectly that my son ate the edge of the cake.

My husband said I needed the barrel tapered at the bottom so he chopped more off the whole way around! Crises averted! Thank the Lord for the input of husbands.

Now that my house is a total wreck and my mother in law is coming over tomorrow evening to see the kids trick or treat, I can now rest easy and clean house tomorrow morning before work.

Here's the finished cake. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1282393&done=1

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 3:32am
post #27 of 49

Oh my gosh. Definitely let that sweet boy trim some more of your cakes.
Wow-fabulous work!

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 11:01am
post #28 of 49

OMG, that is fantastic!! I think your son already has an eye and knew what needed to be done! lol icon_smile.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 11:47am
post #29 of 49

See? This is what my art instructor calls a "happy accident"! This cake, by the way.....is AWESOME!!!

Beth
Gran B in KY

nanikins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanikins Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 12:46pm
post #30 of 49

It's gorgeous!! I think you just found your decorating right-hand man...I mean men. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%