Question On Stacking

Decorating By hummingbird59 Updated 2 Nov 2008 , 4:25am by hummingbird59

hummingbird59 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 7

I have stacked cakes before and always use dowels or some support under the upper layer that sits on a board. My question may seem silly to some but it has been in my mind. Question: when serving a stacked cake and you are finished with the upper layer, I remove the board but there is always this space on the bottom cake that the frosting has been messed up or completely gone due to the stack; is there anyway to fix this or what do others do? This is for a baby shower that will have a 7x11 in the middle of an 11x15.

Thanks for any suggestions.

6 replies
hummingbird59 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 7

Anyone have any suggestions? What about waxed paper, parchment, or powdered sugar under the board of top cake?

TyTy78 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 7

I read somewhere (not sure where) that you can sprinkle PS or coconut on the tiers below before stacking. Hope this helps.

Wildrose6633 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 7

Not sure if I would put coconut there some people are allergic to it. I have used powder sugar and it worked fine.

SpoonfulofSugar Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 7

someone may have a better tip but I always use parchment paper and it seems to work

SeriousCakes Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 1:44am
post #6 of 7

I cut a piece of waxed paper just a tad smaller than my cake board and tape it on the underside. I use double-stick tape so the tape doesn't touch the frosting and I've never had the frosting come off. HTH thumbs_up.gif

hummingbird59 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 4:25am
post #7 of 7

Thank you all for your suggestions. I used waxed paper taped under the board and sprinkled cake icing that would be under the board with ps. Had no problem at all a baby shower today? You guys are great help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%