Question On Stacking

Decorating By hummingbird59 Updated 2 Nov 2008 , 4:25am by hummingbird59

hummingbird59  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 7

I have stacked cakes before and always use dowels or some support under the upper layer that sits on a board. My question may seem silly to some but it has been in my mind. Question: when serving a stacked cake and you are finished with the upper layer, I remove the board but there is always this space on the bottom cake that the frosting has been messed up or completely gone due to the stack; is there anyway to fix this or what do others do? This is for a baby shower that will have a 7x11 in the middle of an 11x15.

Thanks for any suggestions.

6 replies
hummingbird59 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 7

Anyone have any suggestions? What about waxed paper, parchment, or powdered sugar under the board of top cake?

TyTy78  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TyTy78 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 7

I read somewhere (not sure where) that you can sprinkle PS or coconut on the tiers below before stacking. Hope this helps.

Wildrose6633  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildrose6633 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 7

Not sure if I would put coconut there some people are allergic to it. I have used powder sugar and it worked fine.

SpoonfulofSugar  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 7

someone may have a better tip but I always use parchment paper and it seems to work

SeriousCakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 1:44am
post #6 of 7

I cut a piece of waxed paper just a tad smaller than my cake board and tape it on the underside. I use double-stick tape so the tape doesn't touch the frosting and I've never had the frosting come off. HTH thumbs_up.gif

hummingbird59 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 4:25am
post #7 of 7

Thank you all for your suggestions. I used waxed paper taped under the board and sprinkled cake icing that would be under the board with ps. Had no problem at all a baby shower today? You guys are great help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%