About Marshmallow Fondant

Decorating By mmwallny Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 9:22pm by mmwallny

mmwallny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmwallny Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 10

I recently made marshmallow fondant for the first time. I was amazed how good it tasted. My problem was that it seemed a little dry, anything I can do to make it less dry (it seemed to crack alot when I was rolling it) unlike traditional fondant. icon_confused.gif

9 replies
hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 10

Try kneading the powdered sugar gradually in on the next batch. My guess would be that there is too much powdered sugar. I've saved some that was too dry by kneading in some shortening little by little.

DnEKakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DnEKakez Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 10

I love mmf it's simple to make and easy to work w/ I want and try make Rhondas fondant someday I will.... but let me tell you when I am mixing the mmf before I start kneading it I get some shortneing and rub it on my hands and that small amount seems to do the trick the mmf gets softer and it doesn't look dry HTH another trick I learned here on CC was to mix in your color when the marshmallows are melted n then pour the mixture w/ ur sugar it works great all the time

kellogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellogs Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 12:13pm
post #4 of 10

When you put the coloring in your marshmellows...is that what makes the color vibrant? I have been mixing them after the fact and they just don't look like the vibrant colors I see in the pictures.Any help?

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 10

Okay, I'm definitely NOT the MMF guru here. But, the first time "I" made it....it turned out too soft. I found that I have to "feel" the texture so now I only mix it in the KA using the dough hook and when all ingredients are incorporated I hand mix it. I don't put all the sugar that it calls for initially, because, well, again I have to "feel" it. Yeah, I'm weird, okay? My point being, maybe if you try hand mixing some of the sugar in you can tell more about it.

Re: Colors. What kind of coloring are you using? I'm an AmeriColor convert. That's all I use now. Their colors are much more vibrant than Wilton.

Good Luck! Practice makes Perfect! Yeah, right....like I really practice! LOL

Beth in KY

kellogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellogs Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:58am
post #6 of 10

How long does MMF keep and how should you store it. I have quite a bit left over from a Halloween cake that I did. Can I keep it in the fridge or ? covered tightly and for how long?

Thanks

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:05am
post #7 of 10

It can stay out on the counter for several weeks, or in the freezer for several months. Just put a generous coat of Crisco on it and wrap it in several layers of saran wrap. I take mine directly form the freezer to the microwave to soften it and it is perfect everytime.

There are several different recipes for MMF. I use 16 oz marshmallows with 2 lbs PS and it is perfect. Do you know if you may have accidentally bought the 10 oz bag of marshmallows?

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 1:40pm
post #8 of 10

I started adding the 1/3 cup of shortening as in one of the recipes here and it is much less dry. I also don't use all of the ps called for.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 1:49pm
post #9 of 10

MacsMom is that all you use for the MMF recipe? 16 oz mm and 2lbs ps? That's it? Seems so easy. I have been wanting to make it and chocolate mmf.

mmwallny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmwallny Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 9:22pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks to all who replied, I think the problem was the recipe I was using called for the surface to knead on to be dusted with cornstarch and PS, I switched to Crisco and it came out great! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%