Birthday Cake Day Was Cancelled!

Decorating By Pookie59 Updated 31 Oct 2008 , 12:10am by kimmypooh79

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 11

Well the sucky economic is starting to hit home. My employer announced that it will no longer purchase cakes for our monthly birthday celebration. They also laid off 3 people and hinted that more changes and cutbacks will be forthcoming!

10 replies
acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:34pm
post #2 of 11

aww. That sucks. How much can an office birthday cake costs? People never think about morale.

MY DH was laid off last year (week before thanksgiving) it really does suck.

Julia

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 11

Sorry to hear that Pookie59.

I hope you remind him of that when it is HIS turn for a birthday! icon_twisted.gif

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 11

I work at a large-ish law firm, but one of my cake customers has already asked if she could order a cake from me to replace the cancelled birthday cake.

I think the guy who made this decision is the firm party-pooper - he's diabetic and his attitude appears to be that if he can't have cake then no one should have it.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 10:27pm
post #5 of 11

We have a new rule for birthday cakes, which used to be ordered from teh bakery down the street, where I work now too due to cutbacks. The rule is that if you want to have a treat on your birthday, YOU have to bring it.

Now who in the world wants to stay up until all hours of the night, and make their own birthday cake and cover the cost of everything themselves??? ME! icon_biggrin.gif But thats only one person in the office. What are the other 15 people supposed to do?

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 10:45pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

We have a new rule for birthday cakes, which used to be ordered from teh bakery down the street, where I work now too due to cutbacks. The rule is that if you want to have a treat on your birthday, YOU have to bring it.

Now who in the world wants to stay up until all hours of the night, and make their own birthday cake and cover the cost of everything themselves??? ME! icon_biggrin.gif But thats only one person in the office. What are the other 15 people supposed to do?

They should order from you, of course!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 10:55pm
post #7 of 11

anyone besides me thinks it's butt-backwards that the birthday person is suppose to bring in the birthday treats? icon_confused.gif I've thought for YEARS that this was the opposite of what it was suppose to be! dunce.gif

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 11:18pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

They should order from you, of course!

It was decided a long time ago that I was 'too expensive.' Its fine, and I dont mind, but I refused to let them order me a Walmart cake. I made my own for the last 3 years, nothing fancy, just simple ganache or BC design. Its funny how all of my cake gets eaten with people taking monster sized slices, and the Walmart cakes people take these teeeeny slices of and the remaining half of it sits there for like 3 weeks before I will just throw it away.

Sandy2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandy2008 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 11:26pm
post #9 of 11

At my job, we have the birthdays listed, for example: When it is my birthday, the person who had the previous birthday brings my cake. I then bring the cake for the person having the next birthday. That way everyone gets a cake eventually and only one person has to worry about it at a time. It's different and so far has worked out well. I have always hated to ask everyone for a few bucks to chip in for a cake and card. Someone always doesn't contribute and I get stuck with the balance.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 11:44pm
post #10 of 11

I hate office birthdays. That's why I always kept my birthday a secret. Birthdays are just not a big deal to me. (Except my next one, which is my 50th!!!! party.gif And I'm planning it myself because I will NOT have a stupid Over The Hill thing done to me! Nah ... no control issues HERE! icon_rolleyes.gif )

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 12:10am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

anyone besides me thinks it's butt-backwards that the birthday person is suppose to bring in the birthday treats? icon_confused.gif I've thought for YEARS that this was the opposite of what it was suppose to be! dunce.gif

My MIL says that the we children should throw our parents a party on our bdays as a thank you for having us. My response.......that's why they have mother's/father's day!!! I don't expect my DD to thank me for giving her life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Birthdays are just not a big deal to me. )

I'm the only one in my family that makes a big deal out of birthdays. My parents couldn't afford to do a lot for us 3 girls so I decided when I had DD that I'd start planning and saving months in advance. Bdays and Christmas are the only time we buy her anything other than what she needs so I try to make them great.
+-

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%