I Obsess When I Make A Mistake

Baking By pamconn Updated 31 Oct 2008 , 1:37pm by CakeInfatuation

pamconn Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 21

Here's the story:

I made Penny's sugar cookies and chocolate sugar cookies yesterday and the dough on both was sticky and soft-not how it usually is. I thought maybe I had done something wrong and made up a second batch, same problem.

Went ahead and chilled the dough and they came out fine, but I was still bothered that the doughs were not as easy to work with as they usually are and just couldn't figure out what went wrong.

4:00 am I woke up and realized that it was my new beater blade-it works so well that the mixing time is much less. I had over mixed the dough. Lesson learned.

I hadn't realized that I was still trying to figure out what went wrong until I woke up wide awake with the answer and wanted to wake DH and tell him-anyone else out there that obsesses too?

20 replies
rvercher23 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 21

Oh, yes. I do that too. I obsess over every little thing. Your not alone!

angelcakes5 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 21

I am in the same boat! I hate it. I am obsessing now over all the stuff I have at home. Last night I was so tired baking cakes I am praying to god I didnt forget an ingredients in the cakes!

susanscakecreations Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:56pm
post #4 of 21

Count me in on the obsession boat! I was making a "brain" cake last night for a Halloween party, and couldn't stop wondering if I had made it look 'brainy' enough...............DH finally said 'quit worrying, it's fine'......plus I am in the process of making 2 birthday cakes and cupcakes....................but trust me..........I know what you mean!!!!!!!!

shiney Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 21

I very seldom like what I do, I have to walk away and come back to it. I should have done this or should have done that....When I'm decorating, I call my DD in, she now just yells from the other room "It looks good" icon_smile.gif

SpoonfulofSugar Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:37pm
post #6 of 21

I'm the same way.......I never like anything I make and find so many flaws...I obsess over it to. Don't know how to overcome it yet....my DH says he wishes I had Jeff's attitude from Charm City cakes since he is so laid back.

yankeegal Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 21

I obsess as well...I think most decorators do!

gr8cakemaker Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 6:59pm
post #8 of 21

Im so glad you all posted this. I was beginning to feel like something was wrong with me! I am never really happy with any of the cakes or cupcakes I make. Then I'll walk away and go sit myself down for a while and come back and say 'oh its not that bad'. Im always thinking 'I shoulda done this' or 'shoulda done that'.

Meagazz Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 7:04pm
post #9 of 21

I completely agree with all of you!! I am such a perfectionist!! I had to make a ton of white and chocolate cupcakes last night for a United Way fundraiser silent auction. For some odd reason, even though I fill them with the same amounts of batter, my chocolate cupcakes came out WAY bigger than my white cupcakes... what gives?! I called my friend panicking asking her if I should remake all of the chocolate cupcakes so they could be more of the same size!! We are getting together tonight to finish decorating them and I am going to bring some chocolate batter - just in case!!

nanikins Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 7:04pm
post #10 of 21

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif I am not alone! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Thank you, thank you, thank you for letting me know I am not the only one. I am still fretting about my first wedding cake and it was 2 weeks ago!![/u]

cylstrial Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 7:13pm
post #11 of 21

Same here. I dream about cakes and how to do things in the middle of the night. My husband is always saying, you either have to chill out or stop making cakes. Cause I don't like you when you are making cakes. LOL. I get so upset when I make a little mistake, even though half of the time it can be fixed. =o)

JessDesserts Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 7:14pm
post #12 of 21

OMG......my people ! ! ! LOL icon_razz.gif

I cannot see 'the good' in what I do b/c all I can see are mistakes. Sometimes they're not even mistakes.......in MY mind they are.

I would love to make something and be able to look at it and say "wow, that came out pretty good"

Apparently, I need some time on the proverbial couch.

Happy baking!!

Jessika icon_rolleyes.gif

Jenn123 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 7:18pm
post #13 of 21

Gosh people... Relax a little! This should be fun!! icon_smile.gif

Ok, sometimes I stress out too, but I try to realize it isn't brain surgery (except for smartin40 that is).

terrylee Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 7:40pm
post #14 of 21

Could have, Should have, Would have..........

You're not alone... most of us think the same way........I try and learn from my mistakes (in my eyes they are mistakes) but you know, most people don't even see any mistakes......we are our own worst critics.....

Like Jenn123 said......Relax and enjoy what you are doing.....

susanscakecreations Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 7:43pm
post #15 of 21

Well, I have just gone back and looked at everyone's photos who has posted on this forum............and all I have to say is:
EVERYONE here should be VERY PROUD of what you have done!!!!!!! There are some amazing cakes in these photos!!!!!

We just need to take a step back and appreciate ourselves, because when you get down to it.......most people can't do what we do........that's why we do it!!!! And they can't see our flaws!!!!!!!
So keep on rocking out those goodies!!!!!!
Now, back to my brain surgery!!

Meagazz Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 9:47pm
post #16 of 21

smartin40 - I can't wait to see a picture of your brain cake!

GeminiRJ Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 11:53am
post #17 of 21

At some point with every cake I've made, I've thought, "Oh, crud...it's going to look awful!" I'm usually okay with the end result, however. Now, with cookies, it's a different story. I'm much more critical of my cookies than my cakes. Go figure! I think it's because I spend so much more time on CC looking at all the gorgeous cookies than the cakes, and wishing I could be as good as some of these decorators!

nanikins Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 12:42pm
post #18 of 21

GeminiRJ - I was just looking at your cookies last night and showing them to my DH....and telling him how I don't think I'll ever be that good!!

Your work is STUNNING!

shiney Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 1:19pm
post #19 of 21

Gemini, whatever you're doing with your cookies, fretting, breath-holding, oh-crud-thinking, Keep doin' it! Your cookies are A-Maz-Ing!

GeminiRJ Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 1:34pm
post #20 of 21

You're too kind shiney & nanikins! I don't have nearly the skill of say yankeegal, kneadacookie, TracyLH, bakincc, paulkjan....I could go on. I look at their cookies and have to admit my attention to detail just isn't as good as theirs! I'm happy with my 3d cookies, as I think they're fairly unique, but if you look at the skill level, it really isn't that high. But thanks so much for your nice comments.

CakeInfatuation Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 1:37pm
post #21 of 21

I also obsess. Even if it turns out great I question everything and second guess myself. My husband is always telling me to relax. Especially since nobody pays for my cakes. ha ha

Of course the fact that I don't have paying clients helps my obsessive behavior. I can't IMAGINE how HORRIBLE I'd be if someone was paying and I had to wonder if they are going to be happy with the end result. I'm terrified of disappointing someone. It's much easier to do cakes as a gift. Then if they complain they are ungrateful! icon_twisted.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%