bellabiaggio Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:29am
post #1 of

Someone...Anyone...How long should it take for my eggwhites and sugar to get to 160 degrees? I've been at it for about 30 minutes now!

9 replies
-K8memphis Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:59am
post #2 of

Ten minutes. You need to check your bain marie set up--you're loosing too much heat--does the pan of egg whites sit down into the other pan? And slow down your stirring--but don't let the eggs cook.

I'd suggest your double boiler is inefficient.

I have a very sensitive stomach and I've never gotten a bad reaction to my smbc and mine doesn't always get to 160. It's ok.

beemarie Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:07am
post #3 of

I make SMBC all the time. I have read in several recipes your egg white/sugar mixture is ready when you can rub some of the combo between your fingers and the sugar is not grainy anymore. I do this all the time and have never had a problem, either how it whips up or anybody getting sick, and I use this always.

NoNameinNM Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:18am
post #4 of

What recipe are you using? The Martha Stewart SMBC recipe I use a lot says to heat the mixture to 140°F instead of 160°F.

I've recently starting using the pasteurized liquid egg whites from the store-- next to the Egg Beaters and other liquid egg products. I'm a bit paranoid and using the pasteurized egg whites just makes me a bit less paranoid (not to mention I get tired of separating eggs sometimes, unless I need the yolks for lemon curd or creme brulee). I still heat them with the sugar in a double boiler to get it dissolved. By the time the sugar is dissolved, it usually seems to be at 140°F anyway.

bellabiaggio Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:40am
post #5 of

Thanks so much! Ugh..what a mess that was! Yes, I think my double boiler was my problem. Once I removed the bowl (with oven mitts b/c it was too hot) most of my water was gone. It finally got to 160 degrees, but by then a lot of the eggs/sugar were cooked on to the side of the bowl. I definitely lost a lot and I think that my finished product tastes a little too buttery for my taste, but its okay, it was only my second time. Practice makes perfect, right icon_smile.gif

dandelion Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:05am
post #6 of

Here is a really good resource for SMBC
http://dyannbakes.com/index.php?post_id=154155
She has a wonderful video and very clear explanations. I managed to get a delicious SMBC on my first try! (stuff like that doesn't happen very often for me) icon_razz.gif

cupcakemkr Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:34pm
post #7 of

bellabiaggio - if you start with room temp eggs it takes less time - also did you use salted butter or unsalted. The first time I made smbc I used salted because it was what I had and it had a VERY buttery taste. the next time I used unsalted and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! no more buttery taste just a nice smooth creamy sweet taste almost like pudding.

good luck on your next batch!

Sweet_Guys Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 11:16pm
post #8 of

We used a recipe we found on here and it took us a half hour, as well. We had a good seal with the double boiler, we had the eggs at room temperature, and we used unsalted butter. Wonder if it was a humidity factor.

Paul & Peter

9layers Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 8:03pm
post #9 of

NonameNM:

What kind of pasteurized whites are you using?  Do you have to do anything special to get them to whip?

yortma Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 8:32pm

I agree with all above.  It should take 5 to 10 minutes.  I put my kitchenaid metal bowl with the eggs and sugar  right on top of a smaller diameter pan that covers the opening and keeps the heat in.  I also wire whisk it fairly frequently while it is heating up to 160.  Then put the bowl right on the mixer and continue on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%