Newbie Looking For Advise On Cake Size/portions

Decorating By SJEmom Updated 3 Nov 2008 , 12:31am by SJEmom

SJEmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJEmom Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:09am
post #1 of 6

I just recently joined cc and baked my first shaped cake (a number 1) for my DS's first birthday. I loved all the help and support I got on here. I also really enjoyed putting love and creativity into the cake and proudly served it at the party to lots of "wows!"

Anyway, my DD (turning 8 yrs) and DS's (turning 5) birthday is coming up and they are having a joint party with up to 36 kids, plus some adults that will be lingering around. To make things "easy" I was going to buy a "pull apart" cupcake cake from our local supermarket bakery with their High School Musical theme. But then I got thinking that if I did that I would only allow for as many cupcakes as kids, which meant that adults didn't get and it would be a waste of cake if kids didn't eat a whole cupcake. Basically I got thinking that maybe I would make their cake (or cakes).

I own an 11x15 x2 pan that I just got for making my last cake. For 36 kids plus maybe 12-15 adults (maybe), how much cake should I be making? I plan to use cake mix boxes because that turned out really well for me last time. Do I want two 11x15 or a double layer 11x15 or should I get a different size pan? I also own two 9" rounds that I can use.

Thanks for your help.

5 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:50am
post #2 of 6

Your 11x15 pan will yield 35 2x2 (standard) servings (cut it 7x5). So if you made two of those, that would be 70, and I think that's probably way too much cake for the number of guests you have.

A double-layer 9" round serves 22-32 depending on how big you cut the pieces.

Here are two common serving charts. Wilton's pieces are a little smaller than Earlene's, but they are the industry standard:
http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm
http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

For around 50 servings, a 12x18 sheet would be a good choice because it yields 54. I've found that little kids don't eat a lot of cake, but you do want to make sure that everyone gets a piece (even if they just take one bite of icing and then run off! icon_razz.gif ).

SJEmom Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:59am
post #3 of 6

I was just sketching an idea and I wonder if I would have enough cake with a single layer 11x15 as a base and then cut a 9" round into a star on top. It sounds like 11x15 would be enough cake for small pieces for the kids, perhaps adding a 9" star would give me that little bit extra?

I am hesitant to buy a 12x18 pan because I had a hard time working with the 11x15 size and a bigger cake will only be more challenging to work with and transport...

Pastelitoz4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastelitoz4u Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 6

It sounds to me that the 11X15 and the 9" would be enough. I think its always good to have a small piece, so that everyone gets a taste of it, and if any left overs.....who ever wants a second piece of cake, can have one. icon_wink.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 3:09am
post #5 of 6

Yes, put the 9"er on top of the sheet and you should be fine.

You also could make your own pull apart cc cakeicon_smile.gif You can arrange the ccs in any shape/style you want, then just ice the top w/a quick icer tip (that *big* 2" wide tip). I don't think youcould fine a board big enough for some 50-60 ccs so I would think about making 2 of them.

SJEmom Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 12:31am
post #6 of 6

So, after discussions (and more discussions) with my kids, it seems that if I open up the idea of two cakes to them that it REALLY complicates things. Also, I don't think I am ready to do a multi-layered cake and couldn't figure out how that would add extra pieces - just make some taller than others.

I think that I will make an 11x15 cake as the main cake that has happy birthday to both of them. Then to get my extra cake I will make two 9"rounds and decorate them as single layers similar to the main cake but put a big 5 on my DS's and a big 8 on my DD's. That way they are complimentary to the main cake (and no new themes are introduced - which also means same frosting colors thumbs_up.gif ). We can cut the big cake first and then if we need extra we can cut into their cakes. I think that will give me more than enough cake (and some extra for me and DH to enjoy the week after the party icon_wink.gif ).

Thanks for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%