Trouble With Nfs Cookie Batter

Baking By Ivon1967 Updated 30 Oct 2008 , 4:00pm by fiddlesticks

Ivon1967 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivon1967 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:49am
post #1 of 9

I'm having trouble with the NFS cookie batter, i'm trying to make the
those creepy halloween fingers but they kind of flatten out. Their not
keeping the shape like the ones i see posted in the pictures. I used only half the measurement's, since i only needed to make a smaller batch.
But i did measure accurately. What can i do so they wont become so
flat? is there something i can add to the batter i already made? or do
i need to make a new batter?. Please help>

8 replies
ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:55am
post #2 of 9

Splitting the recipe does not always work. I would remake the dough useing the orginal measurements. Freeze any dough that you don't need or use. I freeze dough all the time. Hope this helps. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:56am
post #3 of 9

Splitting the recipe does not always work. I would remake the dough useing the orginal measurements. Freeze any dough that you don't need or use. I freeze dough all the time. Hope this helps. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:14am
post #4 of 9

You can also shape the cookies then freeze them and bake right from the freezer. It helps to hold the shape. I have never halfed the batter so I dont know about that though.

kalamagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kalamagal Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:16am
post #5 of 9

Make sure they are really cold when you go to bake them. I made some today and they turned out OK.
I roll them out and then put in the fridge for 15 or 20 minutes until I bake them. A few of them flattened a bit but the majority were fine.
I also make sure the cookie sheet is cool before I put them on.

CatherineR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatherineR Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 9

I had the same problem so I took them out of the oven before done and with a couple of tools that have some kind of curve on them, I shaped them back to original shape but be careful so they don't crack and then returned them to over to finish baking, hope this helps

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:19pm
post #7 of 9

I halve NFSC all the time with great success. However, I've never made witch's fingers.

Did you use butter or margarine? Sometimes margarine is the culprit. It melts faster than butter causing the cookies to spread.

You might also try raising the temp of your oven slightly. If they cook fast, they won't have time to spread.

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:38pm
post #8 of 9

I'd freeze the dough. Form them and stick them in the freezer for about 10 minutes then put directly into the oven. It should take care of the problem.

Same applies if you do cut-out cookies, if they spread, make sure they are cold before baking, it will save you a lot of grief. I learned that last year when making a bunch of decorated sugar cookies!

See if that works for you and let us know.

Happy baking!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:00pm
post #9 of 9

I have bloody fingers in my photos. I use the NFSC recipe with butter.I have never had a problem with the fingers spreading, They puff up but dont spread! I have had several people pm and ask me how I made them, A few have had the same spreading problem. Im not sure why some do and some dont. But my cutout cookies never spread either . If mine did I would freeze them first and bake them frozen. When you shape them the dough should not be sticky at all .Maybe you need to add a little more flour ? Recipes work different for everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%