Fondant Accents

Decorating By kimberlina25 Updated 30 Oct 2008 , 1:29pm by kbw5780

kimberlina25 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:43am
post #1 of 7

okay, i think i am doing my fondant cut outs wrong. in the past, i have cut them out ahead of time and set them out to dry, well, they end up looking dry and as pretty as i would like. so those of you who do fondant accents, do you make ahead and keep covered to keep them soft? i guess that makes sense, i am just not sure how other people do it.

thanks

6 replies
jjcakes Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:46am
post #2 of 7

When I do fondant accents I just cut as I'm decorating so putting them on soft. Unless of course I need it to stand up for some reason...

kbw5780 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:53am
post #3 of 7

I ususally cut as I go unless I am doing something that i need to dry and firm up a little...... of course, i usually just add gumpaste and let it dry for a little while before applying, when I need something a little firmer...
I am a procrastinator....LOL....

liapsim Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:58am
post #4 of 7

For cut outs...I do them as I go along. But if I need it hard to stand up or whatever...add gumpaste and do it a couple of days in advance.

Suebee Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:07am
post #5 of 7

Cut them out and use them right away. Anything left out will crack and be dry if you try to bend them.

kimberlina25 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:18am
post #6 of 7

huh....i guess i was doing it wrong icon_eek.gif i guess i just find cutting as you go to be tedious and time wasting, do you have any time saving tips?

kbw5780 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:29pm
post #7 of 7

If it is some kind of tedious design that will take a lot of time, then I would probably do it ahead of time, but otherwise, for simple cut outs, I just do it as I go. I am only a hobbyist at this, so I make my cakes one day, then ice and cover with fondant the next. I usually try to leave me some time to do the decorating separately if it is time consuming. I work full time and am in school, so I have to do this in the afternoons and evenings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%