Fondant Accents

Decorating By kimberlina25 Updated 30 Oct 2008 , 1:29pm by kbw5780

kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:43am
post #1 of 7

okay, i think i am doing my fondant cut outs wrong. in the past, i have cut them out ahead of time and set them out to dry, well, they end up looking dry and as pretty as i would like. so those of you who do fondant accents, do you make ahead and keep covered to keep them soft? i guess that makes sense, i am just not sure how other people do it.

thanks

6 replies
jjcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjcakes Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:46am
post #2 of 7

When I do fondant accents I just cut as I'm decorating so putting them on soft. Unless of course I need it to stand up for some reason...

kbw5780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbw5780 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:53am
post #3 of 7

I ususally cut as I go unless I am doing something that i need to dry and firm up a little...... of course, i usually just add gumpaste and let it dry for a little while before applying, when I need something a little firmer...
I am a procrastinator....LOL....

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:58am
post #4 of 7

For cut outs...I do them as I go along. But if I need it hard to stand up or whatever...add gumpaste and do it a couple of days in advance.

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:07am
post #5 of 7

Cut them out and use them right away. Anything left out will crack and be dry if you try to bend them.

kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:18am
post #6 of 7

huh....i guess i was doing it wrong icon_eek.gif i guess i just find cutting as you go to be tedious and time wasting, do you have any time saving tips?

kbw5780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbw5780 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:29pm
post #7 of 7

If it is some kind of tedious design that will take a lot of time, then I would probably do it ahead of time, but otherwise, for simple cut outs, I just do it as I go. I am only a hobbyist at this, so I make my cakes one day, then ice and cover with fondant the next. I usually try to leave me some time to do the decorating separately if it is time consuming. I work full time and am in school, so I have to do this in the afternoons and evenings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%