New...

Baking By lkoenig07 Updated 30 Oct 2008 , 12:35pm by SILVERCAT

lkoenig07 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:46am
post #1 of 7

Ok, so I've been doing cake decorating for about a year now. However, I just started exploring cookies today. I'm very interested in it & am thinking about trying to make some of my own (all the pictures are definitely great inspiration!). Anyways, I know this is a big question, and will take a lot of explanation, but in short, what are the best recipes/techniques for making cookies? I've seen that NFSC is a good recipe to use for the cookies, but what about frosting? How involved is rolled BC & how is it compared to RI or regular BC? Thanks!!

6 replies
mandifrye Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:14am
post #2 of 7

Well, I am no expert, but I have used fondant, rolled bc, royal icing, and toba's glace'. I thought that fondant would be eaiser - I am really not a good piper, so I used that for a while. Rolled bc gave the cookie a better texture, but was too sweet and a little greasy for my liking. I don't really care for the hardening aspect of royal on anything. So, just tonight, I decided to give Toba's a try with piping. I used the outline and flood technique, and it was much easier than I expected it to be. I just hate cleaning out all of the bags! icon_cry.gif

I have no idea how to link you to a recipe, but the popular ones are here in the recipe section. Try Toba's Glace, Antonia's Royal, and Rolled BC in the search area.

HTH,
Mandi

Cookie decorating is very addictive! thumbs_up.gif

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:34am
post #3 of 7

Antonia74's royal icing is the only one I have used. It was the first one I tried and I loved it! But if you have time to try others, it's not a bad idea - for comparison reasons. I just don't have time to experiment and I'm very happy with my results.

lkoenig07 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 11:22am
post #4 of 7

thank you!!

lkoenig07 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 11:27am
post #5 of 7

What about techniques? Do you think flooding is a good technique?

JanH Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 11:28am
post #6 of 7

Everything you ever wanted to know about decorated cookies:
(Has cookie and frosting recipes, comparisons, comments and so much more.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-230831-.html

HTH

SILVERCAT Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:35pm
post #7 of 7

Flooding is great for a beginner, its a place to start and tweak your skills. Just outline your cookies and flood with your thinned icing. I find it easier to flood about 6 cookies and than go back to my first cookie and start flooding that one. Good Luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%