Louis Vuitton Logo For Purse Cake??

Decorating By mommy2djb Updated 3 Nov 2008 , 12:12am by Rocketgirl899

mommy2djb Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:26am
post #1 of 14

I have an order for a Louis Vuitton purse cake for this weekend. I've done the purse cake before, but never with a specific logo. How have some of you done the lettering on these? The customer emailed me this photo that she found online. Any advice is VERY APPRECIATED!!

Thanks!
LL

13 replies
leah_s Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:51am
post #2 of 14

Just out of curiosity, how do you do that without violating their copyright?

mommy2djb Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:42am
post #3 of 14

I have no idea, honestly it never even crossed my mind! I know people make these cakes all the time. There are TONS of them here on cc. Is it really violating their copyright to make a cake that looks like a purse?

sari66 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:50am
post #4 of 14

It's not the purse it's the LV logo it's copywritten and unless you get permission to use it you're violating the law

debster Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:51am
post #5 of 14

I think I've heard some say they make a stencil, how I don't know. Now the coach C's are in the templet section , but I can't say I've seen the louis one though. Maybe check and see.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:53am
post #6 of 14

sugarshack has a post regarding this. ill try to find it

it's copyrighted and its illegal to use it... lots of people swear they won't use it others don't care..... i won't get into that. lol.

sugarshack Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:09am
post #7 of 14

it's illegal if u make and sell it; make money; it is ok to do it if it is a gift or for family or for your own personal use.( i think)

how I did mine:

You need these:

http://www.polymerclayexpress.com/images/pcssq.jpg

http://polymerclayexpress.com/images/kempercircles.jpg

http://www.polymerclayexpress.com/images/pcsl.jpg

( or any square and round cutters the right size)..plus:

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=16591

I used ivory gumpaste rolled thin and then dry dusted with gold luster before cutting out the pieces. let it dry out a while so they don't stretch on you.

The daphne cutter is for the smallest floral looking thingy in the logo, and to cut the middles out of the sqaures. Then you use a round cuitter to cut the sides of each square to make the curved in sides. The lilac cutter is used to cut the middle out of the circles. The center dots are cut with a small round piping tip. The LV was hand piped in royal out of desperation ( need to think of a better way to do that one)

Good luck!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 8:25pm
post #8 of 14

sugarshack has a post regarding this. ill try to find it

it's copyrighted and its illegal to use it... lots of people swear they won't use it others don't care..... i won't get into that. lol.

Jayde Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 8:40pm
post #9 of 14

Logos are a bit different than characters when it comes to copyright infringement.

A character cannot be done, even if you change something specific about the character, i.e. the color. You cannot do Garfield brown, instead of orange, and still make it look exactly like Garfield, and hope to get around the copyright laws.

Logos are a tad different. If you will notice those kiosks in the mall that are draped with purses that look like Coach bags, but their logo just doesnt look quite right?? They are made to look like Coach bags, but they changed something about the logo, so they are not violating any copyright laws. As long as it isnt an exact copy of the logo, and you specifically change something about it, it should be ok to sell.

There are tons of people who violate that probably dont even realize that they did so. NFL or MLB jerseys are copyrighted, thus are illegal to make replicas of. Purse cakes with exact logo replicas are another violation. Also candy bar wrappers are copyrighted too.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 8:56pm
post #10 of 14

I swear sugarshack hadn't posted that yet! Glad she did I couldn't find it icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 9:39pm
post #11 of 14

I did a LV purse once and used the tappit cutters (or something like them) with the capital italic L and V overlapped. It worked really well.

dmcclend Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 12:00am
post #12 of 14

If you use the person's initial instead of the L and V are you still violating the copyright law?

Sharon how did you get your rows so perfectly straight and diagonal?

Thanks,
Danyelle

Tee-Y Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 11:24pm
post #13 of 14

You can get the Daphne cutters from the Jem cutter set(the black ones) and for the curved squares you can bend in a flexible metal square cutters.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 12:12am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

I did a LV purse once and used the tappit cutters (or something like them) with the capital italic L and V overlapped. It worked really well.

GREAT idea! ha. icon_smile.gif thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%