Can I Use Something Else Then Maringue Powder In This?

Baking By lost_n_the_clouds Updated 30 Oct 2008 , 8:04pm by lost_n_the_clouds

lost_n_the_clouds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lost_n_the_clouds Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:54am
post #1 of 5

Helloicon_smile.gif,

I have a problem/question that I hope someone can be so kind to help me with. I have a Halloween party Friday afternoon and I am bringing the cookies. I am making NFSC with Antonia74's Royal Icing. icon_smile.gif
Well here is my problem I have made cookies before but I have never made the icing before so I am totally clueless going into this lol. Well anyways when I went to the store to get the ingredients the other day I couldnât find any meringue powder so I asked an employee and they said I could use just Cream of Tartar so of course for some odd ball reason I believed them well of course come to find out looking around tonight online I found that I can't use that as a substitute so now I have no powder and have to make the icing and have no time to go to the store. icon_sad.gif I really wanted to make the icing tonight but hopefully at the latest I can put it off till tomorrow morning but I have no time to go to the store. My question is there any way I can substitute it with something I have at home? I am really hoping someone tell me there is a way around this huge problem icon_lol.gif

Thanks so much in advance!!

Take care,
Sarahicon_smile.gif

4 replies
3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:13am
post #2 of 5

If you are willing to take the chance you can use a real egg white. All Meringue powder is.....is dried egg white, pluse a few other ingredients.. It is the egg white that makes royal icing possible.

I would go to a craft store, or Walmart, and get some meringue powder.

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:19am
post #3 of 5

I do a recipe with egg whites. works great everytime, you use cream of tarter to help with stablizing egg whites for like meringue for a pie. I have seen it referanced for something with frosting but i can' t remember what.

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:53am
post #4 of 5

I use powdered egg whites. I just buy them at the grocery store in the baking area. Much cheaper and works just as well. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

lost_n_the_clouds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lost_n_the_clouds Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 5

Hello,

Thank you everyone for your wonderful help and ideas!! icon_biggrin.gif
I never thought about just making my own egg whites.
I decided to use another icing recipe that sounded really nice but I came to find out that I donât have corn syrup which the recipe needsâ¦I thought I had some. Just not my luck the last two days. So since I canât make that icing either I am just going to make the cookies and have them without the icing. I didnât want to have to get rid of the icing plan but itâs ok at least I will have the cookies lol.
Thank you guys so much!!!

Take care,
Sarah icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%