Creative Advertising - What Should I Make/bake?!

Business By mom2spunkynbug Updated 31 Oct 2008 , 4:19am by all4cake

mom2spunkynbug Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 13

I am a member of this wedding referral company. They put on a bridal show every year (January). This year (2009), they are having a special Bridal Breakfast for VIP ticket holders/brides.

The woman from the company asked me if I'd like to do something at the breakfast....like maybe a coffee cake or something. I told her I would love to do something.

I just don't think coffee cake is it.

#1) I've never made it
#2) It doesn't really show the brides my creative caking skills (lol)

What else can I do? Someone suggested a pretty cupcake stand/display. That would be nice, but I don't think anyone will want to eat my cupcakes at 9am (and they are getting breakfast from the hotel who's putting the show on anyway). Should I make the cupcakes anyway, even if they don't get eaten? I already make various cake samples for all the brides to try.

I just feel like I need to get my name in that breakfast, lol. Anyone who is a member has a chance to put a little something in there (like florists could do centerpieces for the tables).

I need advice/help/suggestions!

12 replies
Rocketgirl899 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:13am
post #2 of 13

what about making a really pretty dummy cake? Something you can display and take with you to other shows? \\

also bring a professional looking porfolio..and make sure to have awesome business cards.

then bring a few 2-4 of your best flavor and filling combos in sheetcakes/ petite fours for them to try. You don't have to bring enough for everyone. If you run out just happily say.. "My cakes are such hit I ran out! I would love to provide a custom tasting and consultation for you. Are you availible on DATE at TIME?"

If i didn't have a cake on order I would be willing to TRY a mini cupcake or soemthing small for flavor, but I won't be asking for a Shaq size piece... that early icon_smile.gif

snarkybaker Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:53am
post #3 of 13

If it were me I'd make wedding cake cookie favors with a business card attached to a ribbon for each place setting.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:56am
post #4 of 13

ohh good idea txkat

not for me tho! i hate cookies and cupcakes!

lol.

Mike1394 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:05am
post #5 of 13

If it were me and, since it is breakfast. All 1-2 bite cake, croissant, choc croissant, or choc puff pastry, but that's just me.

Mike

TC123 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:10am
post #6 of 13

Oooo... I really like Mike's idea! However, when you were asked about doing a coffee cake, the first thing I thought of was a stacked/tiered coffee cake with drizzled sugar icing, and maybe some sugar-coated fruit tucked in here and there. It's not quite my original idea, as I THINK I saw something like this in a Dede Wilson book... I understand this idea probably doesn't showcase all of your talent, though. Just an idea... Good luck & keep us posted! icon_smile.gif

3GCakes Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:20am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCarra

Oooo... I really like Mike's idea! However, when you were asked about doing a coffee cake, the first thing I thought of was a stacked/tiered coffee cake with drizzled sugar icing, and maybe some sugar-coated fruit tucked in here and there. It's not quite my original idea, as I THINK I saw something like this in a Dede Wilson book... I understand this idea probably doesn't showcase all of your talent, though. Just an idea... Good luck & keep us posted! icon_smile.gif

I second this idea. The stacked/drizzled coffee cake sounds outlandish and fabulous at the same time. ANd if you can pull off such a thing....you deserve the bookings.

(I love coffee and cake..can you tell)

cutthecake Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:24am
post #8 of 13

I love cupcakes for breakfast! I'm the one who chased the Entenmann's truck at 6AM when I was pregnant with my second child (22 years ago) looking for their Halloween cupcakes! That fudge frosting is the best!! (Entenmann's is a NJ based company that provides boxed baked goods to supermarkets.)
As for the brides, I'm sure they will eat anything you bring.
I like the wedding cake cookie favor idea, with your business card attached. They don't have to eat it there, and will have your phone number.

amazinggracecakedesigns Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:52am
post #9 of 13

I really like the dummy cake idea to show off your talent as a cake designer and if you wanted to donate something for the breakfast why don't you try something a little different. I have a wonderful recipe for an orange juice cake. It would be considered something for breakfast and it would also let the brides see how you can be set apart as not just a great cake designer but a great baker also. I would be glad to give you the recipe if you are interested. Lots of luck!! thumbs_up.gif

mom2spunkynbug Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 3:13am
post #10 of 13

Thanks everyone for the ideas!

I probably should have mentioned that this is in addition to the regular wedding show (this will be right before the show)...and for that show I do make cake dummies & small bite-size samples of cakes (about 3-4 different flavors) - so I'm looking for something different for the breakfast part of it.

I would love that orange juice cake recipe!!

I love the idea of the cookies at each place setting too!!

yvy_cano Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 3:54am
post #11 of 13

Maybe assorted medium sized muffins and put them on a cupcake stand. Maybe decorate them like cupcakes even though they're muffins, like these cappuccino muffins.

and place them on a tiered cupcake stand like this...

liapsim Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 4:11am
post #12 of 13

You could do some cupcakes/muffins with like a pumpkin or banana nut or something similar with some cream cheese icing...yummy, especially if you could keep them kind of warm.... HTH and Good Luck!

all4cake Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 4:19am
post #13 of 13

I would do mini cupcakes...your berkshire apple spice(which sounds incredible btw), chocolate and possibly white....with the only icing being maybe a rosette....small small or a combination of small rosettes and some with small roses or other decorations made up of the most popular icing choice for that flavor cake displayed on a stand similar to one above, or graduated stacked/painted boxes, or, if you have one....an acrylic stand. Oh my, boxed individually, in those clear favor boxes with your business info on a sticker attached to the box. a nice layout of pamphlets with offerings and prices.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%